Until you’ve had a negative encounter with a cheese grater…
…grating cheese appears to be a simple chore. Perhaps it’s fragile and clumsy.
If you shred your fingers instead of the cheese, you can wind up with war scars.
Perhaps you lose more cheese than you grate.
There are numerous ways to go wrong when grating cheese…
…but thankfully, you won’t have to go through them again.
Types of Cheese Graters
- Box: The classic all-purpose cheese grater is the box grater. They frequently include a variety of hole sizes and shapes for grating, making them adaptable, and most have a strong base, making the procedure easier. They’re also usually fairly priced. However, box cheese graters aren’t always sharp, and you’ll want to make sure your cheese is cold for optimal results. You’ll lose some if you don’t, especially if it’s a soft cheese that can get stuck in the gadget. Some box cheese graters come with a removable storage container that can be used to catch and measure the cheese you’ve just grated.
- Rotary: For hard Italian cheeses like Parmesan or Pecorino, rotary graters come in handy. They can also be used to grate chocolate or cut nuts. Some die-hard enthusiasts keep them in their refrigerators with cheese inside. They are more maneuverable than some of the other kinds, and they pose a lower risk of minor injury. You may also have the option of selecting from a variety of grate sizes. On the other hand, given their single purpose, they take up a lot of storage space. Many come in two parts, and if one of them is lost, the device is rendered useless. Nonetheless, rotary graters with a suction base for ease of use have an advantage over box graters.
- Flat: Flat cheese graters are the cheapest alternative, but they have a lot of limitations. Most only come with a few hole sizes and might be cumbersome to operate. They are, nevertheless, relatively simple to clean.
- Rasp: We don’t frequently hear the term “rasp grater,” do we? This form of grater is commonly referred to as a Microplane (a registered brand of Grace Manufacturing Inc), but it is also known as a rasp cheese grater, after the woodworking tool. These are sharp and are great for little cheese grating chores, zesting, and even grating a little nutmeg or cinnamon over a freshly baked pastry. A rasp grater is a great tool to use if you want your finished product to be airy and light. However, grating softer cheeses or a bigger quantity of cheese (or other food) can rapidly become inconvenient, if not deadly.
Before looking at top picks of the best cheese grater…
…maybe it would be better if we heard a story from my friend about…
…the great benefits of this cheese grater.
Here’s the Luna’s story…
Living life as a housewife is fun…
…we are always in a situation where we can make food.
Lately my son often asks for cheese to be made on dinner dish.
I had a feeling that some cooking utensil was missing, and yes I knew it!
I need cheese grater to make the process easier.
but I do not know the details and advantages of each product.
Of course, the use of cheese grater that is not suitable will interfere…
…with the cooking process. Finally I decided to read an article on the internet…
…about cheese grater, after I understand the advantages…
…and disadvantages of each product, I ended up choosing one.
And now i had great cheese grater to help kitchen work!
There is no food closer to my heart than cheese. In fact, according to my doctor, it has nearly filled my aorta.”Stephen Colbert. Writer.
Our Top Picks of Best Cheese Graters in 2021!
No matter how much cheese you need or whether you’re…
…cooking pasta or grilled cheese, here are the best cheese…
…graters that will have your back (and assure your safety).
|Zyliss Classic Rotary Cheese Grater-NSF Restaurant Certified, White||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|KitchenAid Fresh Prep Slicer/Shredder Attachment, White||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|OXO Good Grips Multi Grater, 1 EA, White||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Round Mandoline Drum Slicer Rotary Cheese Grater Veggie Slicer Vegetable Carrot Shredder Nut Chopper …||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
|Presto Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder,White||PrimeEligible||Check Price on Amazon|
Let’a review all one by one!
Zyliss Classic Rotary Cheese Grater
This one is my favorite!
- NSF Restaurant Certified rotary cheese grater meeting strict standards for public health protection
- Easy to zest mountains of Parmesan
- Dishwasher safe
- 5-year guarantee
- Only offers one grating size
NSF-certified for restaurant usage, the ZYLISS Classic Rotary…
…Cheese Grater has been thoroughly tested for both durability and safety.
With this grater, you won’t be grating your fingertips! It’s also simple to use…
…and clean, and the handle can be switched to use with either the right or left hand.
It has a five-year warranty and may be washed in the dishwasher.
This product is considered a “must-have” by reviewers, and the process of…
…using it is described as a “absolute thrill.” Furthermore, it is cost-effective…
…it costs roughly the same as a large piece of top-grade Parmigiano-Reggiano.
In a nutshell, you’ll require this cheese grater.
KitchenAid Fresh Prep Slicer/Shredder Attachment
It’s definitely worth to have!
- Designed, engineered, and tested by KitchenAid
- Dishwasher safe
- 3 Slicer/shredder size options
- KitchenAid does most of the work
- Machinery may warm up cheeses
Those who own a KitchenAid vouch for it. Here’s another reason to get…
…one if you don’t already have one: Your cheese-grating demands…
…(as well as your vegetable dicing and slicing needs) will be…
…met with the convenient slicer/shredder attachment.
You won’t have to park yourself in front of a flimsy grater, a bowl, and a rock…
…solid block of cheese the next time you need a significant quantity…
…because there are two size options for both soft and hard cheeses.
Simply remove the cheese from the fridge or freezer (reviewers report that…
…the technique works best with cold cheese) and let the attachment do the rest!
It’s also top-rack dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze.
OXO Good Grips Multi-Grater
Oxo product won’t disappoint you!
- Use on any flat surface or over any size bowl
- Dishwasher safe
- Foldable for minimal storage spaces
- Relatively low price
- Plastic may crack with repeated use
- Requires more physical work
Two stainless steel grating surfaces, a pressure-absorbing, easy-to-grip handle…
…and non-slip feet come included with the OXO Good Grips Multi-Grater.
It can be utilized in a variety of ways, such as perched over a bowl or anchored…
…over a plate. When in the closed position, simply slide apart at the handle/hinge…
…for easy cleaning (it may also be thrown in the dishwasher) or easier grating.
Fold it up when you’re finished for simple storage. It is less expensive than some…
…blocks of cheese, but it would be well worth it even if it were more expensive.
BNUNWISH Round Mandoline Drum Slicer Rotary Cheese Grater
Look at its durable design!
- HEALTHY AND USEFUL - This round drum slicer blades are made of high quality stainless steel, other parts are made of food grade BPA-free ABS plastic, this round mandoline slicer is safe for your health when grating cheese, fruits, carrots, potatoes, radish, cauliflowers ricer, nuts, chocolate, cabbages, breadcrumbs, cookies, pumpkins, etc.
- Drum slicer easier requires less work
- 3 Slicer/shredder size options
- Suctions to countertop for stability
- Plastic body may crack with repeated use
Even if you removed the cheese (a horrifying prospect, we admit)…
…this would very likely become your new favorite cooking gadget.
Its strong suction base and three sizes of stainless steel drums for…
…coarse and fine grating and slicing will save you a lot of time with the knife.
However, it just so happens that this device is ideal as a cheese grater.
This handy tool has your back whether you want delicate parmesan…
…shavings or finely grated pecorino, or just some good old-fashioned…
…shredded cheddar for a grilled cheese. On addition, the attachments…
…can be washed in the top rack of the dishwasher.
Presto Salad Shooter Electric Slicer/Shredder
Try this one and thank me later!
- Presto 02910 Salad Shooter
- Electric cheese grater makes prep nearly effortless
- Grater and slicer barrel options
- Dishwasher safe slicing barrels and food chute
- Weighs more than other cheese graters
Some of us don’t have the time or inclination to fuss with a cheese grater…
…but we still want the flavor of freshly grated cheese.
SaladShooter Electric Slicer by Presto is essentially a handheld food processor.
This small little machine will quickly slice/grate whatever you need and…
…excitedly fire it out into a bowl or onto your plate…
…thanks to its two interchangeable slicing and shredding cones.
Except for the engine, everything is dishwasher safe, and it has a one-year warranty.
It’s quick and easy to operate, compact enough to store when not in use, and far…
…less expensive than most food processors. To put it another way, a victory.
here’s so important…
Consider these when buying a cheese grater!
- Sharpness: Your cheese grater should be sharp enough to easily shave through cheese or vegetables. When it comes to zesting, sharpness is also important—a dull grater is more likely to delve into the bitter citrus pith rather than scrape the delicate, aromatic surface.
- Stability: Stability is important since it makes grating easier and reduces the amount of cheese lost. However, other types of cheese graters, such as a rasp cheese grater, are built for speed rather than stability. If you have the space, a more robust grater for larger operations, as well as a quick, easy-to-clean cheese grater for a quick sprinkling of Parmesan over pasta and other similar duties, may be worthwhile.
- Comfort: When using your cheese grater, you should avoid getting a hand cramp. Even if your hands are wet from washing the vegetables before grating, it shouldn’t slip out of your grasp.
- Versatility: Box graters gain bonus points because the holes on the two sides are usually different diameters. Rasp graters also score points for their ease of use and versatility to handle a variety of tasks, such as zesting a little ginger.
The Zyliss Classic Rotary Cheese Grater is NSF-certified for restaurant use…
…and fairly priced, and it will take care of the most basic grating needs.
Do you really need a cheap pick? The OXO Good Grips Multi-Grater comes…
If you have a favorite kitchenware brand, chances are they have great cheeses…
…grater alternative. OXO, Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and other brands are included.
When it comes to cheese equipment, cheesemongers frequently use Boska…
…a Dutch manufacturer that produces professional-grade cheeseware.
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.