Spaghetti squash recipe is one of my all-time favorite dish. It’s hearty and delicious, and it’s a terrific low-carb alternative to use with Crockpot Meatballs or in soups!
While your Pasta Sauce simmers on the stove top, prepare this light and delicious vegetable in the microwave! Add a little butter or olive oil, salt, and pepper once the spaghetti squash is cooked for a very simple side dish.
One of my all-time favorite vegetables is spaghetti squash. It’s filling and delicious, and it’s a great low-carb substitute for Crockpot Meatballs or soups!
Prepare this light and delicious veggie in the microwave while your Pasta Sauce simmers on the stove! Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, add a little butter or olive oil, salt, and pepper for a quick side dish.
Easiest Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise to begin. It’s a tough squash that can withstand even the sharpest knife’s blade, so I frequently ask the grocery shop to chop it in half for me.
If you can’t get the grocer to cut it, probe it a few times with a fork and then microwave it for 3-4 minutes before cutting. This will soften the skin slightly, making it easier to cut. When cooking a whole squash in the microwave, be careful not to overcook it because the steam can cause it to burst open.
- Use a large knife and cut through the tough skin (this is the hardest part of prepping this veggie) slicing the spaghetti squash tip to tip lengthwise.
- Scrape out the seeds and stringy bits.
- Discard the seeds (or cook and eat the seeds as you would roasted pumpkin seeds).
Best Way To Cook Spaghetti Squash Recipe
One of my favorite things about spaghetti squash is that it can be cooked in under 10 minutes in the best microwave.
The amount of water you use in your microwaved spaghetti squash is one of the most important factors to consider. Microwaving it with a splash of water helps to steam it. If you use too much water, your squash will get mushy, and the strands of “spaghetti” will be quite short.
If you’re using spaghetti squash as a low-carb pasta substitute, be sure to run your fork through the strands in the same direction as the strands to get the greatest ‘noodles.’
Microwave Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Ingredients of Microwave Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 1 spaghetti squash
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- salt & pepper to taste
Instructions of Microwave Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- Pierce spaghetti squash with a fork about 8 times. Place in the microwave 3-4 minutes (do not cook longer than 5 minutes whole).
- Remove the squash from the microwave and slice from top to bottom lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove seeds and pulp and discard.
- Place 1/4 cup water in the bottom of a small casserole dish. Add squash cut side down. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave 6-10 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced through the skin with a fork.
- Remove from microwave, carefully remove plastic wrap (hot steam will escape so use caution).
- Gently run a fork from top to bottom creating strands of spaghetti squash. Season with butter, salt and pepper.
Notes of Microwave Spaghetti Squash Recipe
A medium to small spaghetti squash takes about 7 minutes in my microwave. This can vary based on squash size and microwave wattage.
While it looks like pasta, it doesn’t taste like it! Spaghetti squash has a solid yet tender texture and a mild sweet flavor when cooked in the microwave (not a rich sweet flavor like a winter squash).
Give it a shot; it’s actually rather tasty plain or topped with your favorite spaghetti sauce!
Hello, I'm Vidi! Writing and food are two very interesting things. Writing is a way to express myself, and food will be the best thing to accompany it.
It is a dream for me to be able to try as many types of food as possible, because each food has its own characteristics and story.
So far, with my traveling hobby, several places I've visited have never missed to try regional specialties. it is a pleasure in itself. who wouldn't be interested in that? I really want to spend my time exploring the world, visiting every best place, and of course trying every special dish. So i'll get lot of ideas to write about food with my experience.