What could be more delectable than fish? it’s almost nothing But, on the other hand, there’s nothing worse than a cluttered tabletop covered in fish scales, right?
That’s why we’ve put together this helpful step-by-step guide to show you how to scale fish with or without best fish scaler like a master!
How to Scale Fish Without a Scaler?
Scale fish is an easy task. All you need to do is to follow these simple steps.
Required Tools of Scale Fish
- Parchment paper or a newspaper (protective layer)
- Running water
- Disposable gloves
- A knife
Steps of Scale Fish
Step 1-Use Cold Water For Rinsing The Slime Off The Fish.
- To hold the fish firmly, you need to take the slim off or grip the fish using a dry rag or towel.
Step 2- Keep Rinsing To Loosen The Fish Scales
- After you remove the slime, keep washing the fish to loosen the fish scales on both sides.
Step 3-Place The Fish On The Protective Covering
- Using a protective layer while removing scales will keep the cutting board or your countertop clean.
Step 4-With Your Non-dominant Hand Grip The Fish Tightly From The Tail
- Lay your fish above the protective cover.
- Grasp the tail firmly while removing scales to prevent slipping .
- Fines and scales can be sharp. So wearing protective gloves is recommended.
Step 5-Hold The Knife and Spin It to its Dull Side.
- Next, use the blunt edge to take off the scales.
- Grip the blunt edge at 45 degrees angle.
- Place the knife-edge right up against the skin of the fish close to the tail fins.
Step 6-Scraping the Fish.
- Rake the kitchen tool backside over the fish side. You have to move from the tail to the head. while doing, even, long strokes.
- During scraping, apply a little pressure, you will find the scales pop off.
- Keep working till you remove all the scales from this fish side.
- Turn the fish over, and repeat.
Step 7-With Cold Water Rinse the Scales Residue.
- After taking removing scales, grip the fish under running water to completely remove the leftover scales.
- For those types of fish with tough-skin, you can work with the knife’s sharp edge. But make sure your blade will scrape over the scale’s top and not within the fish delicate flesh.
Cleaning and Gutting Fish
- Rubber gloves (optional)
- fish fillet knife
- Cutting board
- Running water
- A proper trash bin
Step 1- Slide the Knife Tip Within the Vent of the Fish.
- Line the fish over a stable cutting surface with the belly facing you.
- Lean the fish at an angle of 45-degree, and the head faces far from you.
- Make the fillet knife edge face the head of the larger fish. then slide the fish fillet knife end within the fish anus. Counting on the fish size, you can Insert the knife end from 1–2 inches (2.5–5.1 cm) within the vent.
Step 2-Cut the Way Up Toward the Neck.
- Hold your knife firmly and continue moving it up and down with a distance of 0.5 inches (1.3 cm) as you slide it along the fish opening.
- Keep cutting until you reach 1–2 inches (2.5–5.1 cm) under the fish’s mouth.
- You should avoid going deep within the belly of the fish while cutting it. If the intestines rupture, the fish inside will be messy.
Step 3-Open the Stomach and Take off the Guts and Intestines.
- Without you rip the cut, slightly start spreading both fish sides at the vent with a 2–6 inch (5.1–15.2 cm). With your fingers, pinch the organs where they are linked to the head.
- Continue pulling the organs gently out at the root. Then take off the guts and intestines. Check the body cavity to see if there is any organ residue. If there are, take them off with your hand.
- Throw them in a proper trash bin. Physically taking off the guts, gills, and intestines should be an easy task. There should be no much resistance, and the task will not require a knife to cut anything.
Step 4-Extract the Kidney of the Fish Spine (If Found)
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- Some big fish come with a tiny kidney on the interior of the spine close to the middle part.
- Search for a small organ that has a bean shape. If there is a kidney, extract it with a spoon.
Step 5-Rinse the Fish Under Running Water and Clean the Stomach Cavity.
- Grip the fish in a big sink with the vent-side up. Turn on a cold water tap and open the fish stomach.
- Allow the water to run through the stomach cavity of the fish. Simultaneously, with a spoon or your hand, scrub the inside walls of the fish. This step will take off any organ residue and make the flesh clean.
- Keep cleaning fish for at least one minute. You do this to ensure reaching each portion of the fish’s stomach cavity.