Chili beans are classic comfort food that can be enjoyed by anyone. But sometimes, the store-bought variety just isn’t enough. That’s where homemade chili beans from scratch come in—they’re delicious, bean-loaded, and easy to make in just 30 minutes.
All you need is a pot, some beans, beef or chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Then just simmer everything together until the beans are cooked through.
Whether you’re in the mood for a quick and easy dinner recipe or something more complex and hearty, these chili beans will hit the spot. So what are you waiting for? Give them a try!
What You Need for Making Homemade Chili Beans From Scratch
A variety of legumes called chili beans is frequently used in Mexican and Southwestern cooking. They provide a fair number of calories and are a decent source of fiber and protein. They have been promoted as a food that supports weight loss because of these factors.
It’s chili time! And what better way to celebrate than by making your own chili beans from scratch? All you need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans chili powder (I used an all-purpose chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (or 1 tablespoon ground cumin) + more for seasoning (optional) + optional toppings: sour cream or avocado sauce; salsa; diced jalapeno peppers; shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, brown ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Add in chopped onion and simmer for 5 more minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. In a small bowl mix together black beans, kidney beans, chili powder (I used an all-purpose chili powder), cumin seeds (or 1 tablespoon of ground cumin), tomato sauce, garlic cloves minced salt, and pepper to taste). Simmer everything together for about 10-15 minutes until everything is heated through.
- To serve, spoon chili beans into bowls and top with your favorite toppings: sour cream sauce; avocado sauce; salsa; diced jalapeno peppers; shredded cheese (if desired). Enjoy!
How to Make Delicious and Loaded Chili Beans in Just 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds of lean beef
- 1/3 cup of chili seasoning blend
- Diced tomatoes in two (14.5-oz) cans with green pepper, celery, and onion
- 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce, two
- Black beans, one (16-oz.) can, undrained
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can of undrained tiny red beans
- When the beef crumbles and is no longer pink, brown it in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain well. Return the beef to the Dutch oven, then add the seasoning mixture equally and cook for 1 minute over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, stirring regularly. 15 minutes of simmering on low heat with a cover and occasional stirring.
- Chili made in Italy: Instead of 2 pounds of lean ground beef, use 1 pound of Italian pork sausage and 1 pound of lean ground beef. Sausage casings should be removed and discarded before browning ground beef and sausage combined as indicated.
- Leave out the beans, then combine the other ingredients with 1 small onion, 1 green bell pepper, 2 small zucchini, and 1 small can of diced tomatoes. Follow the recipe’s instructions. Serve chili over hot, prepared spaghetti noodles that have been torn up with fresh cilantro and olive oil. serves 6 to 8 people. Prepare in 10 minutes; cook in 25.
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty chili recipe, look no further than our recipe for homemade chili beans. This recipe is easy to follow and will leave you with a pot of bean-loaded chili that will tantalize your taste buds. Don’t wait any longer—make this chili recipe today and enjoy the warm, comforting flavors that only homemade chili can deliver!
Was this helpful?
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.