How to clean cast iron tortilla press? Cast iron cookware is an old-fashioned kitchen staple that can withstand the test of time. Cleaning this popular cooking tool can be tricky because it is made from porous material. Read this article until end to know more about how to clean cast iron tortilla press. In this blog, we also have an article about best tortilla presses that you might want to read about it.
A tortilla press is a traditional device with a pair of flat round surfaces of about 8-inch plus to crush balls of corn dough in order to obtain round corn tortillas or flour tortillas.”Wikipedia.org
What is a tortilla press
A tortilla press is a kitchen utensil that can be used to flatten and shape tortillas, which are then used as a substitute for bread. Tortillas are made by hand, and the tortilla press helps to shape them into a disk. Tortillas can be used as a substitute for bread or served as an appetizer. A common use of this item is in Mexican cuisine, where they are known as “tortas” (or just “torta”).
In Spanish-speaking countries such as Mexico and Spain, it is called a “plancha.” A typical tortilla press consists of two parts: a base with a flat surface and a handle. The user places a balled-up piece of corn or wheat flour on top of the base in order to make a tortilla. Then the user presses down on the handle to compress the dough into a round shape. There are also electric models available. These tend to have a motor instead of a manual handle.
A tortilla press is an affordable and worthwhile investment that streamlines making homemade tortillas.”Mackenzie Ryan, foodabovegold.com
What is a cast iron tortilla press
A cast iron tortilla press is a tool used to flatten and shape tortillas, tacos, and other flatbreads. It is also known as a press or a presser. A cast iron tortilla press is made of cast iron, which is an alloy of iron and carbon. This makes it very durable and long lasting.
How To Clean Cast Iron Tortilla Press
Cast iron tortilla press is one of the most used cooking utensils. It is a popular tool used in the kitchen for making tortillas, tacos, and other Mexican dishes. It is very easy to clean and maintain. Here are the steps to clean cast iron tortilla press:
- Step 1 – Remove all food debris from the inside of the cast iron tortilla press, including any corn kernels. You may need to scrape out anything stuck to the interior of the cast iron with a spoon or metal scraper.
- Step 2 – Rinse the inside of the press with hot water, soapy water, or dish soap. When you rinse off the press, the water will get rid of any residue left behind after frying foods.
- Step 3 – Gently wipe the inside of the cast iron with a soft cloth. Be careful not to scrub too hard or use abrasives. If there are stubborn bits of food, place some salt between two layers of paper towels and rub it gently around the inner surfaces of your cast iron tortilla maker. Rubbing the salt will help remove the hardened oil buildup.
- Step 4 – Wipe away any excess liquid before putting the cover back on the press.
Tips For Using Your Cast Iron Tortilla Press
When using a cast iron tortilla maker, remember these tips:
- Use only fresh ingredients.
- Do not put the press directly over heat sources. Heat sources include gas burners, ovens, microwaves, etc.
- Make sure to dry the inside of the press thoroughly before storing. Otherwise, moisture trapped inside can cause rusting.
- Don’t forget to keep an eye on how much pressure you apply when rolling the tortilla. Too little force could result in a thin crust while applying excessive pressure could tear the tortilla.
- Once you’re done pressing, don’t leave the press sitting on the countertop. Store your tortilla press in its own container once it cools completely.
- Always store your tortilla maker in a cool, dark location (like a pantry, cupboard, or garage).
- After every use, wash both the press and the lid with warm, soapy water to disinfect them.
- Never use steel wool or abrasive cleaners on your cast iron tortilla makers. They can damage the coating, causing rust spots.
- Wash your hands frequently to avoid getting grease or food particles onto your press.
- Avoid touching the inside of the press where the heating element is located. Doing so can potentially melt the plastic coating and ruin the entire machine.
Our Latest Post:
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- How To Fix Pull Down Kitchen Faucet
- How To Clean A Pull Down Kitchen Faucet Spray
- What Is A Dish Rack Used For? 7 Superb Usages Of Dish Rack That You Should Know