You know you’ve found a keeper when you find yourself…
…eating healthy vegetables with the same reckless abandon..
…that you reserve for potato chips.
Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer, you are pure, unbridled, crispy addiction!
For the first year of its popularity, I steered clear of the air fryer…
…because I dislike adding appliances we don’t need…
….and I wasn’t convinced I “needed” one.
But it would be a different story…
I would have jumped on the bandwagon right away..
…if someone had fed me these air fryer Brussel sprouts!
Another reason I was skeptical of the air fryer was that I’ve had..
…great success making super crispy Brussels sprouts in a regular oven..
…so I wasn’t convinced it could do them any better.
It was a pleasant surprise for me!
Indeed, some test batches of air fryer Brussels sprouts…
…crisped up so quickly that it took some tinkering (and a special trick)…
…to ensure that the centers were tender before the outsides burned.
Here is Bella’s story…
We all know Brussel sprout is a healthy food…
But these days I’ve been questioning if it is still healthy…
…if we cook it using regular oil to make it crispy.
Isn’t that making it unhealthy, so I decided to use air fryer…
…and it actually can make Brussel sprouts crispy without too many oils.
It is definitely healthier!
Brussels sprouts are low in calories but high in many nutrients, especially fiber, vitamin K and vitamin C.Health line
Let’s get it started…
Secrets to Crispy Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer
The sprouting process is a very healthy on…
… and is great for those who are health conscious.
It is a great process to try if you want to eat sprouts..
…for the health benefits or even to simply enhance the taste.
There are many methods that can be used when sprouting…
…but one of the most basic and healthiest ways is to steam them.
This is a fairly easy process, but there are some things..
…you need to know before you cook your sprouts.
Many Brussel sprouts recipes suffer from a lack of texture….
Many people have suffered from food poisoning as a result…
…of bad boiled Brussel sprouts. In fact, I’m willing to bet…
…that if you don’t like them, you were served them this way first.
Brussel sprouts can become soggy even when cooked in the oven…
If the pan is too crowded or the oven heat isn’t high enough, this will happen…
This air fryer recipe avoids both pitfalls and guarantees..
…that your sprouts are deliciously crisp (not soggy!) every time.
Is there such a thing as too crispy?
My biggest challenge when testing this recipe was making sure…
…the Brussel sprouts had enough time to become tender…
…in the middle before the outsides were charred beyond use.
While I personally prefer my Brussel sprouts al dente all the way through…
…some people enjoy them softer in the center.
I have a trick for those of you with tender hearts:
- Before air frying Brussels sprouts, soak them in water for 10 minutes so they will be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- By soaking the sprouts, the middles become softer. You don’t have to worry about soggy sandwiches! You would never see me do that to you.
- You do not need to soak Brussels sprouts prior to cooking if you, like me, don’t mind a little chew to your sprouts.
Looking for an air fryer? This one will be a great choice!
For Brussels sprouts that are crispy outside and more tender inside..
…soak the Brussels sprouts in water for 10 minutes prior to air frying them.
Here’s how you make it…
How to Make Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
To give the Brussel sprouts flair, I took inspiration…
…from my Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Garlic..
..and added some garlic cloves to the mix.
- Brussels Sprouts. The green veggie nightmare of many childhoods has reinvented itself as a craveable side dish. These crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts are not only easy and flavorful, but they’re healthy too. Brussels sprouts are packed with fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Here’s what I recommend you…
- Olive Oil. Helps the Brussels sprouts become crispy and delicious with the best oil. Since this is an air fryer recipe, you do not need as much oil as you do in the oven.
- Salt + Pepper. Sometimes the simplest seasonings are the best.
- Garlic. While optional, fresh garlic is a scrumptious addition.
- Trim and halve the Brussels sprouts.
- (Optional) Soak the sprouts in water for 10 minutes if you’d like them a little softer in the center.
- Drain and dry the sprouts. Toss them with oil and spices, then add them to the air fryer.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 375 degrees F, then toss. Cook another 5 minutes, then toss again. Add the garlic (if using), and cook for 2 to 4 more minutes.
- Add any desired toppings, and ENJOY!
Brussel Sprouts Recipe Variations
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Parmesan. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the top of your finished sprouts.
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts with Feta. Toss the cooked Brussels sprouts with a handful of feta cheese.
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts with Honey. For a sweet finish, drizzle 2 teaspoons of honey over the cooked sprouts. For a sweet/spicy variation, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
More important thing to note…
Some Tips When Cooking Brussel Sprouts with Air Fryer
- Don’t over crowd the baskets with food. Cook in batches if you need to (2 small-medium batches cook better than 1 large batch).
- Don’t forget to shake while cooking, but sometimes shaking the basket during cooking isn’t enough. Gently toss the food with a rubber spatula so food doesn’t break or tear.
- The bottom of the air fryers can get hot while cooking. Make sure to place on a heat-safe surface or wooded cutting board.
Brussel Sprouts Storage Tips
- To Store: Refrigerate Brussel sprouts in an airtight storage container for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat: Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet in the oven or in the air fryer at 350 degrees F.
- To Freeze: The Brussel sprouts will get mushy once thawed, so I don’t recommend freezing them. If you have lots leftover, you can freeze them in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Recommended Tools to Make Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer . The air fryer I own and love.
- Mixing Bowls . These mixing bowls are ideal for prepping the sprouts.
- Measuring Spoons . Easy-to-use magnetic measuring spoons.
These air fryer brussel sprouts come out so fantastic…
…perfectly crispy and oh soooo good.
We made these air fried brussel sprouts with much less oil…
…when compared to cooking in the regular oven.
The results were just as delicious and super crispy without all the oil…
Just use a light oil spray of avocado oil, grape seed oil or olive oil…
Let me know what you thought!
Leave comment below and let me know how you liked the recipe…
Never thought you’d use the words “addictive”..
..and “Brussel sprouts” in the same breath? Involve the air fryer…
…and you’ll catch yourself saying them together again and again.