Why are soup spoons round? Ever wondering it? Some people believe it’s because round spoons can hold more soup than square spoons, which is great because soup is delicious and we should always have as much as we can
. Others believe that round spoons are easier to hold and control than square spoons, so they’re easier to use. But what are the real reasons behind it? Read this article until end to know more about it. In this blog, we also have an article about best soup spoon that you might want to read about it.
What Is A Soup Spoon
A soup spoon is a spoon-like utensil used for eating soup, typically with a handle that is perpendicular to the bowl. The spoon is used to scoop up the liquid, bring it to the mouth, and then to consume the solid ingredients.
Why Are Soup Spoons Round?
So, why are soup spoons round? Here are the breakdowns for it:
- Soup was originally served in large bowls or pots called cazuelas, which were made from earthenware. These bowls were often quite deep as they would be filled with liquid and had no handles. When the first Europeans arrived in what is now Mexico around 1520, the Spanish introduced the idea of using a spoon to eat soup. They brought their own style of pottery with them to Mexico, but found that the Mexican clay did not work well for making these new vessels. The Spaniards began adapting the shape of their dinner plate for use as a soup spoon.
- Because the soup spoon has evolved into its current form, there have been many theories about how this happened. One theory suggests that the first soup spoons were made out of metal rather than ceramic because people wanted something more durable than earthenware. Another theory points to the fact that the earliest soup spoons were simply wooden spoons cut in half. This may have occurred due to a lack of available material during the early days of European colonization in Mexico. It is also possible that the shape of the modern soup spoon emerged because people were unsure about the best way to hold a piece of bread while they ate soup. Since bread could easily fall into the soup if held by hand, it became useful to create a shape that kept the bread from falling into the soup when lifted.
- Another popular theory is the “soup spoon hypothesis”. According to this theory, a French chef named Charles Panard invented the soup spoon in 1833 after noting that his customers preferred holding bread over their soup spoons when eating soup. Panard’s invention was based on an earlier design by François Marie Perrin, who lived between 1780 and 1800.
Today, soups are commonly eaten using soup spoons. Before the advent of plastic disposable soup spoons, most restaurants offered diners a choice of either having the soup spoon dipped in hot water before serving it to the customer or providing them with one of the many types of disposable soup spoons available at grocery stores, drugstores, and supermarkets.
The Difference Between a Bouillon and a Soup Spoon
Bouillon spoons and soup bowls are both used to eat soups, but they’re intended for different types of soup! A bouillon spoon is a round-shaped spoon with a shallow bowl to fit around the sides of a soup bowl. Soup spoons are generally larger than bouillon spoons and are used for thicker soups. Cream soup spoons are usually larger and made of stainless steel.
Soup spoons are used to drink soup. They are usually made of metal or plastic and come in various shapes and sizes. Cream soup spoons are shaped differently than other types of soup spoons. A Chinese soup spoon is smaller than other soup spoons.
Consideration Before Buying Soup Spoon
It’s easy to take the soup spoon for granted. You might not give it much thought before you buy it. But you should. A soup spoon should be the right size, shape, and weight for the soup you are eating. Here are some consideration before buying it:
- Size – A soup spoon should be long enough to reach all parts of your mouth without bending the middle section. If you want to get fancy, consider getting a double soup spoon. This will allow you to add more food to your mouth at once.
- Shape – The bowl of a soup spoon should be wide at the bottom so that your soup doesn’t spill out. Also, the handle should preferably be straight.
- Weight – A good soup spoon should feel light in your hand. Some are made of materials such as wood, bone, porcelain, silver, or gold. Others are made of plastic or stainless steel. Keep in mind that heavier soup spoons tend to be more difficult to hold up against the strength of the soup.
Our Latest Post:
- How To Fix Pull Down Kitchen Faucet
- How To Clean A Pull Down Kitchen Faucet Spray
- What Is A Dish Rack Used For? 7 Superb Usages Of Dish Rack That You Should Know
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!