You’ll love making this air fryer grilled cheese. This quick and easy air fryer cheese melt sandwich is a great lunch or dinner option. This is a hit with the kids.
Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches are life changing! We knew it would work, but we had no idea how good a cheese melt sandwich could be made with this technique! These are fantastic for a quick snack for the kids or a seriously delicious lunch.
The cheese melts beautifully and the bread toasts perfectly. You don’t have to use much butter if you don’t want to. The bread toasts perfectly in the air fryer with just a little butter or a light spray of olive oil.
How To Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Lay slices of good melting cheese in center of slices of bread. Close the sandwich and spread softened butter on outside of bread. Or spray with light olive oil spray.
- If your bread is really thin and light, it will fly off the sandwich from the circulating air in the air fryer. So you can use a toothpick to secure the sandwich together. But remember to remove the toothpicks before eating!
- Lay sandwich in air fryer and cook. Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer that’s easy and delicious!
- Full recipe instructions in the recipe box below.
Is It Possible To Cook Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer? Yes, you certainly can. The taste of grilled cheese cooked in the air fryer is incredible. You can make air fryer grilled cheese in a variety of ways, depending on your preferences.
Perhaps you’d like grilled cheese on toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. Perhaps you have some French bread that needs to be used up and you’d like to stuff it with cheese.
Best Cheeses for Grilled Cheese
To make it extra tasty, use a good melting cheese. We like to use traditional American cheese slices because they have a great flavor and melt quickly. Melting cheeses such as sharp cheddar, swiss, tuyere, and fontina are examples. If you’re slicing cheese from a block, make sure it’s thinly sliced.
The longer the cheese takes to melt in the air fryer, the thicker it is. Cook the sandwich on a low heat setting until the cheese melts, then increase the heat to toast the bread. The sandwich was tested with butter and a light spray of olive oil. Both are fantastic with a variety of flavors!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Recipe
Every air fryer cooks differently, so check on the sandwich often to make sure it doesn’t burn. Or to make sure it’s cooked enough, just add extra time. If you slice your cheese thick, then it will need more cooking time at the lower temperature to melt the cheese all the way.
If your bread is really thin, it will blow off in the air fryer because of the hot circulating air. Use toothpicks to secure the sandwich during air frying. Remember to remove the tootpics before eating.
Ingredients of Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of the best bread that you choose
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) butter
- 1.5 oz. (43 g) good melting cheese (American, swiss, cheddar, Gruyere, etc.)
- Air Fryer
Instructions of Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Lay cheese in between bread. Butter outside of bread with butter. Lay sandwich in air fryer basket. If needed, use two toothpicks to secure the sandwich together by sticking it through the sandwich.
- Air Fry at 360°F for about 3-5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Flip the sandwich and increase heat to 380°F to finish and crisp the bread. Finish air frying for about 5 minutes or until the sandwich is to your preferred texture. Check on the sandwich often to make sure it doesn’t burn (different breads will toast quicker or slower than others). Allow to cool a bit before biting into the yummy grilled cheese sandwich!
- Make sure to remove the tooth pics before eating!
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.