Learn how to make delicious candy apples on a stick, which are similar to my famous caramel apple lollipops. These caramel apple pops are perfect for the fall season, and you can customize them with your favorite toppings.
Candy apples were one of my favorite Halloween desserts as a kid. It didn’t matter to me what kind of candy was used. I was after all of them. So it was only natural that I make these caramel apple lollipops!
Candy Apple Lollipops
If you want a sweet fall dessert recipe but don’t want to commit to a large baking production, these candy apple lollipops are perfect for portion control. This apple recipe is also easy to handle for small hands. They aren’t nearly as sweet as a typical candy apple, either. These caramel apple pops are just the right size for me.
Before we get started on the caramel apple pops, I wanted to address a few common questions I get about this recipe. Continue reading if you want to read them; otherwise, scroll down to get the recipe card.
Types of Apples to Use
Because there are so many apple varieties, I’ve been asked several times which one would be best apples for these caramel apple lollipops. I prefer an apple that complements rather than competes with the caramel and chocolate.
Fujis or Galas, I believe, have the perfect firm crunch that I seek in my apples. The Fujis are a little sour, while the Galas are a little sweet.
Jazz apples are also one of my favorites because they are both crunchy and sweet. They’re an apple crossbreed that I don’t see very often.
Granny Smith, on the other hand, makes my mouth pucker. Go for the Grannys if you like your cheeks squeezed!
Keeping Apples from Browning
Taking preventative measures to keep your apples from browning is one thing I recommend.
Nobody wants to eat a caramel apple pop that has turned brown around the edges, especially if it’s for a party.
To begin, you’ll need a sharp knife to cut your apples. This causes less damage to the apple cells (getting technical here), and your apples will retain their color for longer. Then you have the option of selecting one of the following:
- Brush the slices in lemon or orange juice. Anything with citric acid will slow the reaction
- Soak in salt water (Monica of The Yummy Life suggests soaking in a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon of salt per quart of water, for about 3 – 5 minutes)
- Soak in ginger ale or Sprite – or another soda with citric acid
Any of these methods will make your apple pops last for several hours; long enough to keep looking attractive on the table at a Halloween shindig.
Caramel Apple Pops Full Recipe
Ingredients of Caramel Apple Pops Recipe
- 4 apple(s)
- 6 caramels
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
Instructions of Caramel Apple Pops Recipe
- Wash and dry your apples. Take a sharp knife and cut it into halves, stem side up. Using a melon baller, scoop out the seeds and harsh flesh from the middle of each apple half.
- Take a handful of the caramel candies and place in a microwaveable bowl. Add 1 tsp of water and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir really well and with a teaspoon, scoop some caramel into the center of each apple half. Place the apples in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes until caramel hardens.
- Add about a cup of chocolate chips into a microwaveable bowl and heat for about 60 seconds, stirring once 30 seconds in. Dip the apples into the chocolate and then coat with your topping of choice.
- Place the caramel apple pops on wax paper to cool. Puncture each one with a lollipop stick and refrigerate for about 5 minutes or until chocolate hardens. Then remove and enjoy!
Hello, I’m Vidi! Writing and food are two very interesting things. Writing is a way to express myself, and food will be the best thing to accompany it.
It is a dream for me to be able to try as many types of food as possible, because each food has its own characteristics and story.
So far, with my traveling hobby, several places I’ve visited have never missed to try regional specialties. it is a pleasure in itself. who wouldn’t be interested in that? I really want to spend my time exploring the world, visiting every best place, and of course trying every special dish. So i’ll get lot of ideas to write about food with my experience.