This air fryer Brussels sprouts recipe is one of our favorites. It’s no secret that we adore brussels sprouts. We’ve been adding to our extensive collection of brussels sprouts recipes over the years, thinking we’d be satisfied for a while.
Air fryer brussels sprouts is a new one to add to the list. And it’s a massive revelation!
Quick and Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts With Less Oil
First and foremost, we must be honest with ourselves about our initial impressions of air fryers. We have a fantastic double oven for roasting and a stovetop for deep frying. Adding another air fryer, or any appliance for that matter, felt like an overabundance of tools.
Second, an air fryer seemed like an overpriced “As Seen On TV” item that would usually end up at a garage sale. But, after hearing so much about air fryers in recent years, we felt compelled to give it a shot. As a result, our minds have been blown and we have been completely humbled in our previous air fryer judgments.
How To Make Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
These air fryer brussels sprouts are absolutely delicious, perfectly crispy and flavorful. Our go-to oven roasted holiday brussels sprouts dish is our classic brussels sprouts recipe with balsamic vinegar.
- When compared to cooking in a regular oven, we used a lot less oil to make these air fried brussels sprouts. Without all of the oil, the results were just as tasty and crispy. Simply spray avocado, grape seed, or olive oil with a light oil spray.
- Crispy texture: It reminded me of a perfectly roasted brussels sprout. When we need more oven space during the holidays, we’ll definitely consider making our brussels sprouts in the air fryer.
- Cut the brussels in half for even cooking. More recipe details are in the recipe box below.
- Now we can focus on the turkey, potatoes, and desserts in our ovens. All brussels sprouts dishes can now be cooked in the air fryer! These air fried Brussels sprouts require very little oil to prepare. All of the food is crispy and cooked to perfection.
What is an Air Fryer?
Air fryers are small countertop convection ovens with a heating element placed on top of the food. A fan circulates hot air as it generates heat, ensuring that the food cooks evenly and crisply. Without using a lot of oil or fat, the texture is similar to deep frying. In fact, we use very little best oil or none at all, and the food is still crispy and delicious. The majority of the food also appears to have been perfectly roasted in a convection oven.
Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Full Recipe
The amount of time it takes to cook brussels sprouts depends on their size. Our brussels sprouts should be brown, crispy, and tender. Cut brussels sprouts in half for small to medium brussels sprouts. If they’re too big, cut them in thirds. Most importantly, for consistent cooking, try to purchase them in the same size. You can also par-boil them first, then drain and proceed with the air frying method. Par boiling them softens them and makes them more cooked in the middle.
Ingredients of Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound (454 g) brussels sprouts , ends removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons (15 ml) olive oil , or more if needed
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
Instructions of Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Toss in the brussels sprouts that have been cut. Drizzle the oil and balsamic vinegar over the brussels sprouts in an even layer. If you pour the oil and vinegar all at once, it will only coat one brussels sprout. Make sure all of the brussels sprouts are coated.
- Season the brussels sprouts evenly with salt and pepper. Stir everything together for long enough for the brussels sprouts to absorb all of the marinade. The marinade should not be left in the bottom of the bowl.
- In the air fryer basket, place the brussels sprouts. Air fry for 15-20 minutes at 360°F. Halfway through cooking, about 8 minutes in, shake and gently stir. Make sure you shake halfway through! You don’t want your food to be cooked unevenly. If necessary, shake and toss a third time to ensure that everything cooks evenly.
- Continue air-frying the brussels for the remaining time, or until they are golden brown and cooked through. If necessary, check earlier to ensure that nothing burns. You can also add more time if necessary to ensure that it is fully cooked.
- Add additional salt and pepper if needed on the brussels sprouts and enjoy!
Was this helpful?
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.