Fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice make up Pico de Gallo. Learn the secret to making the greatest Pico de Gallo in Mexico; one simple tip ensures that it tastes authentic.
With loaded salsas like Mango Salsa, our iconic Cowboy Caviar, and, of course, Ceviche, we love making the most of summer fruits and veggies! Our favorite way to use up garden tomatoes is to make Pico de Gallo.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is a popular salsa in Mexico. It’s sometimes referred to as “Salsa Fresca” or “Salsa Cruda.” It’s traditionally cooked with an equal amount of tomatoes and onion, as well as fresh cilantro and a splash of lime juice. We use jalapeño for a spicy bite, but if you want a milder pico, leave it altogether.
You may simply alter this recipe to suit your tastes; for example, if you prefer a sweeter salsa, add more tomatoes, or if you prefer a spicy salsa, add another jalapeño pepper. We’ve even attempted making a peach salsa, which turned out fantastically.
How to Make Pico de Gallo
This salsa recipe requires no cooking, so even the most inexperienced cook would struggle to make a mistake. SQUEEZE in the lime juice, season with salt and pepper, and STIR to blend your ingredients in a non-reactive bowl.
When sowing and handling hot peppers, use gloves or a ziploc bag to protect your hands.
The Secret to the Best Pico de Gallo
Have you ever wondered how to make your Pico de Gallo taste more authentic and like it came from a restaurant? Blanca Villasenor, who also offered her authentic Ceviche recipe, revealed this family secret. Allowing a traditional pico de gallo to rest is crucial. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, cover, and chill for a day. The tomatoes will juice up and the flavors will combine, resulting in a flavor-packed mouthful in every bite.
The First Premium Control Kitchen Knife
You can easily bulk up and change the flavor profile of pico salsa by dicing in one of these fresh fruits or vegetables. I’d love to know about your creative add-ins.
- Bell Pepper
- Peaches for a peach salsa
Serve Pico de Gallo With:
Breakfast items, enchiladas, tacos, nachos, and other dishes are frequently topped with salsa fresca. It’s extremely adaptable! It’s also delicious served with chips as an appetizer. Pico is great with:
- Breakfast Burritos – a fresh pico will take these over the top
- Mexican Chicken Casserole – as a topping
- Chicken Tacos or these Juicy Beef Tacos
- Tortilla Chips or Tostadas
Our Favorite Summer Appetizers:
If you love pico as much as we do, you won’t want to miss these all-time most popular appetizers recipes:
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – always gets rave reviews
- Avocado Shrimp Bites on cucumber slices
- Crisp Zucchini Bites – do not skip the sauce
- Roasted Salsa – amazing and freezer-friendly
- Chunky Guacamole – with a spicy kick
Pico de Gallo is extremely enticing, and we like this deliciously fresh salsa. My only criticism is that it disappears far too soon, so I strongly advise preparing a double or triple quantity.
Authentic Pico de Gallo Full Recipe
Pico de Gallo is a traditional Mexican salsa made with best tomatoes, onions, jalapeos, cilantro, and lime juice. Pico de Gallo is delicious on tacos, burritos, nachos, and as a side dish with chips.
- 1 lb tomatoes (3-4 medium), diced
- 1/2 medium onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper and chopped cilantro.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp lime juice and lightly season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper, or season to taste. Enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Anyone With Tinnitus "Ends" Should Watch This (Surprising Facts)!
recommended by Dr. Davis (licensed and certified Doctor of Audiology with over 15 years)