The Best Easy Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe – creamy macaroni and cheese with fresh lobster chunks! This easy baked lobster mac and cheese is for you if you love lobster as much as I do and deliciously creamy, rich, and cheesy mac and cheese.
The lobster mac and cheese recipe has a few steps for a hearty, rich from-scratch flavor, but it’s definitely one that even novice cooks can handle in no time. In this recipe, I’m using pre-cooked lobster meat; you can find cooked lobster chunks in most grocery stores.
If you’re looking for a great lobster tail recipe, check out my recipe for perfect broiled lobster tails in just 10 minutes!
Creamy 3 Cheese For Macaroni and Cheese
Because we’re using three different cheeses in this recipe, the rich and hearty flavor is maximized.
This lobster mac and cheese recipe calls for cheddar, gruyere, and romano cheeses, but you can substitute similar cheeses or try a slightly different flavor with a different cheese!
Other the best cheeses that go well with macaroni and cheese are:
- Cream Cheese
Just make sure you use cheeses that melt well in macaroni and cheese so the cheese sauce is decadent and gooey rather than clumpy – but if you have any of those cheeses on hand, they’ll go great in this cheesy lobster pasta!
How To Freeze Lobster Mac and Cheese
There are some tips and tricks to ensure that your lobster macaroni and cheese is perfect when you make a large batch and then freeze it for later reheating.
When I make this dish knowing I’ll be freezing it later, I try to reduce the pasta slightly (I take out about 14 cup of macaroni pasta from the recipe) because I find my pasta soaks up a lot of sauce after cooking it.
The Best Easy Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 cups lobster meat, cooked and chopped into 1″ chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil.
- Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still a bit crunchy to the touch, about 8 minutes.
- Reserve about 2 cups of the hot pasta water, then drain the pasta in a colander set in the sink.
- Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place the garlic, shallots, peppercorns, reserved pasta water, and milk into the saucepan with the onions.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, and cook for 20 minutes. Milk should not boil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 5 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir the Gruyere, Cheddar, and Romano cheeses into the thickened milk mixture until melted and smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the cooked lobster meat and macaroni.
- Pour the macaroni into a 4 quart casserole dish or enameled dutch oven and smooth the top to be an even surface.
- Sprinkle evenly with the panko crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the sauce is bubbly, and the top is golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.