With the revival of the cookware industry there have been so many techniques; methods, and man-made chemicals that we are unknowingly ingesting into our bodies.
Many of us, therefore, seem confused about whether using non stick pan can be harmful to our health, or whether seeking an expert’s opinion can ensure that non stick pans are safe for us to use.
What Is Nonstick Cookware?
Upon hearing about non stick, what is the first thought that comes to mind? “Is using a non-stick pan harmful to your health? It’s a yes! Almost everyone is concerned with this issue. We also have compiled a guide that will help you choose the highly rated nonstick pans, if you are looking for the best one.
Most nonstick cookware is made of a substance called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), also called Teflon. Teflon is actually a synthetic substance made up of carbon and fluorine atoms that provides a nonstick, slippery, and nonreactive surface.
The Teflon nonstick surface makes it incredibly simple to cook almost any kind of food and makes it effortless to clean. Additionally, it requires less grease and oil, making it a healthier choice for frying and preparing food.
People have been moving away from concern about nonstick cookware for over a decade; the main reason is toxic chemicals and possible presences of PFOA, the chemical first used in nonstick cookware.
Most manufacturers have withdrawn PFOA options from their cookware; however, there are still other health compromising factors and elements that could be involved.There is a high risk of quality compromising in low quality less expensive cookware, such as nonstick pans, which seem all perfect and beautiful, but are actually harmful to health. People wonder whether nonstick pans are safe to use because of the risks involved in nonstick coating. This is the reason why manufacturers have introduced PTFE and PFOA-free cookware. People nowadays prefer organic non-stick coatings.
There are many options out there; it’s just a matter of how much you want to spend on your pursuit of finding the best non stick pan or how concerned you are about buying toxic free non stick pans.
Pros of Non Stick Cookware
- Because it is a nonstick coating, it saves time and energy, and we do not have to worry about the food getting stuck like with any other cookware.
- If you like to use little oil or grease in your food, non stick cookware is the best option. It does not need a lot of oil or butter to keep the food from sticking to the surface while still cooking the food evenly without burning.
- Most non stick pans are made of aluminum, which is an affordable material, so the price is quite reasonable. However, there are other options available if you want to spend more.
- Pans and pots made of nonstick materials are very easy to clean; you can even wash them with warm water without putting much effort into it.
- Generally, nonstick cookware is recommended to novice cooks, as it is less likely to burn or stick food.
- You don’t have to struggle with tossing, turning, and releasing food with non-stick pots and pans. Searing, sautéing, braising, and simmering are simple to do.
Cons of Non stick Cookware
- As metal utensils can scratch non-stick pans, they should not be used with them.
- Unlike other pans, you cannot be certain if non-stick pans can be put in the dishwasher or not. They aren’t dishwasher safe even if the manufacturer says it’s sturdy enough.
- If you try to challenge nonstick cookware with high temperatures, they will start to decompose and emit fumes that are harmful to your health. Nonstick cookware cannot withstand high temperatures; the maximum temperature they can withstand is 500F.
- Nonstick pots and pans age within a few years; and as they age, they begin to flake or chip. Once you find that your nonstick has started to chip, it would be better to stop using it.
- It is not recommended to place non stick cookware in the sink right after cooking while it is still hot. You may end up warping the cookware.
- Cookware is not designed to store food and maintain the extreme cold temperatures of the refrigerator. It will compromise the cooking surface over time.
Alternatives to Non stick Cookware
It is difficult for some people to prepare with stainless steel pans; however, stainless steel cookware offers much greater durability and longevity than nonstick cookware.What they need from you is to learn how to make the most of it without letting food stick to it.Unlike cast iron, stainless steel cookware is not as heavy and does not require as much maintenance and seasoning as cast iron cookware.
With stainless steel pans, you don’t have to worry about the cooking temperature, so you can experiment with different foods and cooking methods in your kitchen.You can use dishwasher cleaning technique without worrying about scratching, damaging, or warping stainless steel. Even though stainless steel cookware requires certain techniques to cook food, compared to other cookware it does not pose any hazardous risks.It does not leach, flake or react with food or release toxic fumes at high temperatures.
Cast iron pans are an excellent alternative to non stick cookware for people who do not mind high maintenance and heavy weight. A cast iron pan is an excellent choice for cooking, roasting, braising, and searing. Cast iron pans are not potentially harmful when you cook at high temperatures.
Furthermore, cast iron cookware lasts a much longer time. Unlike nonstick cookware, cast iron gets better with age.However, there are some factors which need to be considered before buying a cast iron pan, even though there are no health risks associated with cast iron cookware.In addition to the heavy weight of cast iron skillets, they are prone to rusting.
Therefore, you can’t just leave them to dry on their own and allow them to soak in the sink water to rust.It also requires regular seasoning if you want to enjoy its nonstick properties. Therefore, if you don’t want to take the time to take care of cast iron, then stainless steel is the better choice.
Ceramic cookware is one of the healthiest and safest cookware options, as it is made of organic materials and is free of toxic chemicals such as lead, cadmium, PTFE and PFOA.It is generally used to refer to ceramic coated cookware instead of the original ceramic cookware, since original ceramic cookware is not durable and does not possess good non-stick properties.
Most ceramic coated cookware has an aluminum core, but it can also be made of copper and stainless steel. They offer plenty of options to their clients in terms of size, material, and type of cookware. As with all nonstick cookware, not all ceramic coated cookware is induction compatible, so if you are looking for induction compatible cookware, you must check the features before buying.
The ceramic coated cookware are superior to the other two alternatives, and unlike Teflon coatings they can withstand high temperatures without leaching, flaking, or reacting, whereas nonstick coatings can withstand temperatures up to 500F.
Are Non Stick Pans Safe to be Used when Scratched?
Because non-stick pans can scratch easily, you need to be careful when cleaning them and choosing the right utensils to use with them.
You may damage your pan sooner if you use abrasive scrubbing pads or steel wool to scrape off food residue from the surface, or use metal utensils or use metal utensils in a rough manner.
When a piece of non stick coating on your pan is scratched, it can leach into your food and release toxic fumes at high temperatures. Both of these things are dangerous.
Using scratched non stick pans causes contaminants in the air you breath, and can harm your health. You can get kidney problems, liver malfunctions, respiratory problems, and even develop cancer by using scratched non stick pans.
I always loved food! It was my favorite topic and it’s what I love to talk about.
My favorite thing to do is research new restaurants in the area, plan out a Yelp guide for those places, and write a blog post on them once they’re done. Those of us who understand the value of food are fortunate enough to know it, and for those who do not, I would like to share my knowledge with them!