How to repair kitchen knife handle? When it comes to repairing a broken kitchen knife handle, most people may not know what they are doing. The problem is that fixing the handle of a sharp kitchen knife can be quite complicated. Here are some ways you can fix a broken kitchen knife handle. Read this article until the end to know how to repair kitchen knife handle. In this blog, we also have an article about best luxury kitchen knife sets that you might want to read about it.
A kitchen knife is any knife that is intended to be used in food preparation.”wikipedia.org
What is kitchen knife?
Knives are a great invention that help us in cooking and preparing food. Kitchen knives are of different types and materials. The material used in the manufacturing of the knife determines the utility of the knife. For example, a high carbon steel knife is more durable than a stainless steel knife.
Knives are also available in different sizes and shapes. There are many types of knives available in the market and it is very important to choose the right one for your kitchen.
Whether you’re a professional chef or a modest home cook, having the right knife for the right job in your arsenal is generally advised as the first step towards masterful cookery.”nisbets.com.au
The most common kitchen knives are
- Folding Knife – These type of knives come with two pieces; fixed piece and folding blade. Fixed blades can be used to cut vegetables or meat while folding blades enable you to cut fruits, breads, cakes etc.
- Serrated Knife – This type of knife has sharp serrated edges which allow you to cut tough items like meats, fruits and vegetables and can be used as a slicing tool.
- Utility Knife – A utility knife is not considered as a professional grade knife but is good for cutting any kind of small items including fruits, vegetables and other small cuts.
- Chef’s Knife – It comes with a longer blade and a curved edge so it offers excellent control when cutting. Unlike normal knives, chef knife blades are usually made from higher-carbon steels because they need to withstand tough cutting tasks.
- Bread Knife – This type of knives are mainly used to slice breads and other bakery products.
- Meat Knife – This is another popular knife that comes handy for chopping raw meat.
- Santoku Knife – This type of Japanese knife is ideal for cutting through thick foods such as whole fish, poultry, beef and pork.
- Chef’s Cleaver – This type of knife was used by chefs before electric appliances were invented and now they are being used by home cooks.
- Sushi Knife – Used to cut sushi rolls.
How To Repair Kitchen Knife Handle
Scratches and Marks
So, how to repair kitchen knife handle? This is the simplest category to correct. Scratches do not damage the knife’s operation, but they may detract from its appearance. Depending on the material of the handle, you may be able to totally eliminate them.
Knife with Wood Handle
If your knife has a wooden handle, most scratches may be removed using sand paper. The handle should be sanded until the scratches are gone. However, there are a few things you should be aware of.
It is a good idea to sand both sides of the handle, depending on how much sanding you will perform. This way, it won’t seem uneven or strange. In addition, most knife handles have a protective coating that you will remove. This is not necessarily a negative thing, but it is something to consider.
Knife with Metal Handle
You’ll have to treat a metal handle differently. Fortunately, there are treatments designed expressly for removing scratches from metals. Apply it on the knife handle and then wipe it clean with a microfiber towel (or something close). These solutions are not flawless, but they will remove the majority of minor blemishes.
If your handle is missing some components, it may be more difficult to repair. This will very certainly only happen with wooden handles.
If you still have the damaged component, you may reattach it using super glue. Apply the adhesive and wait a few hours before using it again. This process must be repeated every few months, and the knife should not be placed in the dishwasher.
Another alternative is to replace the damaged component with a screw. It will not be visually appealing, but it will endure longer and be more effective. Simply thread a screw through the fractured piece and the remaining handle.
You’ll have to do something totally different if you don’t have the shattered component. The only sensible thing to do is sand down the handle till it is serviceable again. You should begin by sanding the fractured area until it is smooth. Sand the remainder of the handle until it is the form you want it to be. This takes time and should be done only if you can’t find a new handle for a reasonable price.
If your handle is entirely gone or damaged beyond repair, you only have a few alternatives. The initial step should be to hunt for a new (or used) handle at an affordable price. If you have a brand-name knife, consider looking at some off-brand handles. They are usually much less expensive and adequate.
Our Latest Post:
- The Best 3 Dough Rolling Machines (According to Amazon Customers)
- 30 Inch Gas Stove Top With Griddle Reviews: Which is the Best One?
- Can You Bake In An Electric Skillet? Yes! Here Are Superb 7 Steps To Do It!
I love cooking because it's so relaxing! I just put on my favorite tunes, and then get to work. First I'll look up what kind of food I want to cook, and find a good recipe for it. Then when the meal is ready everyone usually can't stop telling me how much they loved everything that was made. It makes me feel really accomplished knowing that people liked what I made for them!