So how do you decide, is a burr grinder worth it? As a coffee enthusiast, you know that using your own hands to grind beans is the best way to produce the freshest tasting coffee possible.
But with the rise of high-end machines and more people buying their own coffee grinders, many people are leaving the tedious job of grinding to machines. If you want to know the answer of is a burr grinder worth it, just read this article until end. In this blog too, we also have an article about oxo burr grinder that you might want to read about it.
The burrs are the part of the grinder that crushes the coffee beans into a uniform size which is essential for creating an awesome espresso/coffee.”Wholelattelove.com
What is burr grinder
Burr Grinder is a special type of grinder which has a sharp cutting tool and a hole in the middle. This hole is called as Burr. It is made of steel or ceramic. In the grinding process, it cuts the food into small pieces, as well as breaks down the tough grains into fine particles. So, it helps in grinding different types of ingredients and spices. You can use it to grind coffee beans, nuts, seeds, spices, grains etc. We also have an article about what is burr coffee grinder if you want to know more about it.
A burr grinder, also called a burr mill, is made up of two revolving burrs in between which the coffee is ground. The beans are crushed between a moving grinder wheel and a non-moving surface.”theroasterie.com
Is A Burr Grinder Worth It?
So, is a burr grinder worth it? The answer to this question depends on your budget, time constraints, and the consistency you are looking for. If you have limited space in your kitchen, then an electric grinder will be a better option for you. If you want some control over your food and need to get really fine powders, then a manual grinder with high power settings might be more suitable for you.
How to use Burrs Grinder?
The first thing you need to do before using a burr grinder is to clean it properly. As we know that food particles are stuck on the surface and inside of this machine. So, make sure that there are no any impurities or dusts are accumulated on the surface of the grinder. Then, you have to put some salt water inside the grinder.
After putting water inside, turn on the power and start grinding your ingredients. The best way is to place the ingredient inside a bowl. Then, add a pinch of sea salt and mix it thoroughly. Finally, take out the mixture from bowl and transfer it in another bowl. Do not forget to wash the bowl again if you had used it previously for other purposes.
Why should I buy a burr grinder?
Burr grinders are very famous among chefs because they serve all kinds of purposes. Apart from grinding various foods, one more main reason why people prefer burr grinders is that it is affordable. It is very easy to maintain and also light weight. Besides these reasons, it is highly recommended by professional chefs. They recommend it because it does not require much time to prepare meals. Moreover, it provides an even distribution of nutrients in the final product. If you want to get a hand-held grinder, then go with a burr grinder.
Types of Burr Grinder Available
There are many models of burr grinders available in the market. Some of them are hand held and cordless. But, mostly burr grinders are mounted over kitchen countertops. You can choose between electric, manual, semi-electric, and electric-manual.
- Electric burr grinder: A common electric burr grinder model is designed with a metal body and base. It is mainly operated by turning the dial below the handle. Electric burr grinders are powered by electricity. These machines are popular due to their ease of operation. Usually, they have 2 speeds – slow and fast. Another advantage is that they give consistent results every time. However, you may feel some heat while operating it.
- Manual burr grinder: This kind of grinder requires the user to operate it manually. There are three gears present in the device. From left to right, they are slow, medium, and fast. To operate this type of grinder, you just press and release the lever.
- Semi-automatic burr grinder: In addition to the above mentioned features, a semi-automatic burr grinders also come equipped with a timer mechanism. The timer will automatically switch off after grinding all the desired amount of food. This feature makes it convenient for busy individuals who wish to save time.
- Cordless burr grinder: When compared to other burr grinders, a cordless burr grinder is less powerful than a traditional burr grinder. But, instead of being heavy and bulky, it is portable, rechargeable, and versatile.
Consideration Before Buying
If you are looking forward to buying a burr grinder, then consider following factors:
- Price range: A high price tag means better quality. Therefore, if you cannot afford a high priced burr grinder, don’t worry. Instead, opt for a cheap burr grinder. One of the cheapest burr grinders is a stainless steel hand-held one . It costs around $20 to $40 only. On the contrary, an expensive automatic burr grinder would cost more than $100.
- Size and shape: Before choosing a burr grinder based on size, think about how you intend to use it. Remember that a bigger capacity grinder always comes with a higher price. So, before you purchase a big-sized burr grinder, check whether you really need it.
- Durability: You must look at the material of which the burrs are made up. Stainless steel is considered as the most durable material for making burrs. Other commonly used materials include brass, ceramic, plastic, and carbon steel.
- Functions: Check whether the machine has a built-in scale or not. Having a scale helps you calculate the quantity of food you need to feed your family members. Also, check whether it gives a clear indication when the burrs are done.
- Noise level: Choose a burr grinder that creates minimal noise while grinding the food. Noise disturbs peace and tranquility. So, avoid noisy ones.
- Portability: Burr grinders are not meant to be kept permanently within your kitchen.
Our Latest Post:
- Cooking Essentials: 5 Best Oils for Fried Rice
- 5 Best Glass Food Storage Containers on Amazon – Expert Reviews
- 4 Best Potato Ricers for Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.