If you’re looking for a super cheesy mac and cheese recipe, look no further. This stovetop recipe takes about 20 minutes to prepare and is richly decadent, with two types of freshly grated cheese. You’ll want to make this one again and again.
Warning! There’s going to be some cheesiness! With a super thick cheese sauce, this easy cheesy mac and cheese goes above and beyond. The decadent double cheese sauce is so thick that a spoon stands straight up in it. This cheesy mac and cheese is the recipe for you if you’re looking for the ultimate cheesy goodness!
The majority of my clients ask for paleo, gluten-free, or keto recipes. However, every now and then (and sometimes even more frequently), a personal chef client will request that I make macaroni and cheese for them. This recipe was so popular with one of my clients that I made it for them every week!
The Ingredients For Super Cheesy Mac and Cheese
- fusilli or cavatappi pasta ~ these pasta shapes really hold on to the cheese sauce
- salted butter
- all purpose flour
- whole milk
- Colby Jack cheese
- sharp cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper ~ a pepper mill is a kitchen must!
If a client is going to splurge, than this the the super cheesy mac and cheese dish I make for them. The recipe is all made in one pot. Clean up is a breeze!
What is The Best Cheese For Mac and Cheese?
For the most delectable sauce, combine two types of the best cheeses. Sharp cheddar adds a tangier, more intense cheese flavor, while Colby Jack melts creamy smooth.
It’s crucial to shred the cheese as soon as possible. To keep shredded cheese from clumping and sticking together, it’s coated with starch or cellulose (usually potato starch or plant fiber) in the grocery store. This ingredient also makes it difficult for the cheese to melt together. Shredding cheese can be done quickly with a box grater or a food processor.
This mac and cheese is not for the faint of heart. The recipe makes an ultra thick cheese sauce. If your preference is for a thinner sauce, add additional whole milk until reaching the desired consistency.
This is not a mac and cheese for the faint of heart. The cheese sauce produced by this recipe is extremely thick. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more whole milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
Chef Cooking Tips For Making Easy Mac and Cheese From Scratch
- Make sure to use a large pot (this 6 quart pot is my favorite) with plenty of water to cook the pasta. Use at least 2 quarts of water for this recipe. Ample water helps dilute the starch in the water so the pasta is less likely to stick together.
- Generously salt the boiling water to help flavor the pasta.
- Do not add oil to the boiling pasta water. Oil will make the sauce not cling to the pasta.
- Cook the pasta for the minimum time on the package ~ taste ~ and continue cooking or drain as needed.
- Have all the ingredients ready for making the cheese sauce. The ultra cheesy sauce comes together rather quickly so this helps the recipe prep go smoothly.
- Use two kinds of cheese for the most delicious sauce. Colby Jack cheese melts creamy smooth and sharp cheddar adds a tangier, more intense cheese flavor.
- This cheesy mac and cheese recipe makes an ultra thick cheese sauce. If your preference is for a thinner sauce, add additional room temperature milk 1/4 cup at a time until the desired consistency. When reheating the mac and cheese, extra milk can be added.
Super Cheesy Mac and Cheese Recipe
Ingredients of Cheesy Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 3 cups fusilli or cavatappi pasta
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk ~ at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese (from a 4 ounce block of cheese)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (from an 8 ounce block of cheese)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Instructions of Cheesy Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Fill a large pot with water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. This is my go-to 6 quart pot for lots of my cooking.
- Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to the boiling water and the pasta. Stir.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Drain the pasta and set aside. Do not rinse with cold water.
- Place the empty pot back on the burner over medium low heat.
- Add the butter. When the butter has melted and begins to foam, whisk in the flour. Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, stirring to remove any lumps.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the shredded cheeses.
- Stir in the mustard, nutmeg, the remaining 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the pasta. Season to taste and serve immediately.
Hello, I'm Vidi! Writing and food are two very interesting things. Writing is a way to express myself, and food will be the best thing to accompany it.
It is a dream for me to be able to try as many types of food as possible, because each food has its own characteristics and story.
So far, with my traveling hobby, several places I've visited have never missed to try regional specialties. it is a pleasure in itself. who wouldn't be interested in that? I really want to spend my time exploring the world, visiting every best place, and of course trying every special dish. So i'll get lot of ideas to write about food with my experience.