Tupperware, Pyrex, Anchor Hocking – with so many brands of glass food storage containers out there, how do you know which are the best?
As a professional chef and meal prep fanatic, I’ve tested endless options to find the top containers for keeping food fresh.
In this guide, I’ll share insider tips on what to look for based on factors like longevity, safety, and versatility.
You’ll learn how to select glass over plastic, avoid common pitfalls, and get the perfect set to transform your kitchen storage.
From soda-lime versus borosilicate to leakproof lid designs, we’ve got everything you need to become a glass food storage container expert!
First up – why go glass in the first place? Unlike flimsy plasticware, glass containers offer unmatched durability and sterilization.
Sturdy soda-lime glass can withstand hundreds of washes and trips through the dishwasher or oven.
It keeps food pristine and won’t absorb stains or odors.
The transparency allows you to easily monitor contents.
Just beware – not all glass is created equal.
Be sure to examine the quality and construction carefully.
Let’s dive into the must-know basics!
What are the best glass food storage containers on Amazon?
These containers offer a range of sizes and features suitable for various storage needs.
Key Points to Consider
When selecting the best glass food storage containers, keep these key factors in mind:
- Material – Soda lime or borosilicate glass. Avoid cheap soda ash glass.
- Safety – Tempered, thermal shock resistant. No sharp edges.
- Lids – BPA-free plastic. Tight seal, easy to secure. If you are going for leakproof containers, they usually contain these lids.
- Versatility – Oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe.
- Durability – Resists stains, odors, scratches. Withstands daily wear.
- Shape/Size – Variety for different uses. Modular sizes nest nicely.
- Features – Markings for portions, vented lids, interlocking bases, etc.
- Price – Higher often means more durable and advanced designs.
- Brand Reputation – Trusted names like Pyrex and OXO carry clout.
By keeping these factors in mind as you shop, you’re sure to find the perfect glass containers to meet your cooking, reheating, storing, and transporting needs.
With the right set, you can simplify meal prepping, organize your kitchen, cut down on waste, and keep food fresher, longer.
It’s a worthwhile investment for any home chef.
Best Glass Food Storage Containers for Meal Prep
As a professional chef and meal prep fanatic, I’ve tested countless glass food storage containers to find the best options for keeping ingredients fresh and leftovers delicious.
After years of first-hand use, these are my top picks:
|Glasslock 18-Piece Assorted Oven Safe Container Set||Prime||Check for Latest Price|
|Pyrex Meal Prep Simply Store Glass Rectangular and Round Food Container Set (18-Piece, BPA-free), Multicolor||Prime||Check for Latest Price|
|PrepNaturals Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids - Leakproof Meal Prep Container - Bento Box for Lunch - Dishwasher, Microwave, Oven & Freezer Safe (Multi-Compartment)||Prime||Check for Latest Price|
|Bayco Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids, [24 Piece] Glass Meal Prep Containers, Airtight Glass Bento Boxes, BPA Free & Leak Proof (12 lids & 12 Containers) - Green||Prime||Check for Latest Price|
|OXO Good Grips 16 Piece Smart Seal Leakproof Glass Food Storage Container Set,Clear,Blue||Prime||Check for Latest Price|
Glasslock is my #1 choice for durable, versatile glass food storage.
Their containers come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes to suit any need.
I especially love their rectangle and round containers for efficiently packing meals and snacks.
The soda-lime glass is sturdy enough for repeated oven and freezer use.
It resists stains and odors far better than plastic.
Large grab tabs make removing lids a breeze.
The bright plastic lids create an airtight seal to lock in freshness.
For meal prepping proteins, Glasslock’s divided containers keep ingredients separated.
Flexible use lids allow you to mix and match bases and tops.
The shatterproof design ensures these glass containers can withstand frequent daily use.
Pros of Glasslock Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Durable and versatile for various storage needs.
- Wide variety of shapes and sizes available.
- Efficient for packing meals and snacks.
- Oven and freezer safe, allowing for flexible cooking and storing.
- Resists stains and odors better than plastic.
- Easy-to-remove lids with large grab tabs.
- Creates an airtight seal to lock in freshness.
- Divided containers for organized meal prep.
- Flexible-use lids for mixing and matching.
- Shatterproof design withstands daily use.
Cons of Glasslock Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Heavier weight compared to plastic containers.
- Risk of breakage if mishandled.
- Higher initial cost.
- Lid may not withstand prolonged microwave use.
- Limited lid color variety.
- Not suitable for extremely high-temperature cooking.
- Takes up more space due to thickness.
Pyrex is a household name, synonymous with glass bakeware.
But their food storage containers are also top-notch.
Made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, Pyrex can move straight from freezer to oven without shattering.
The smartly vented lids allow steam to escape during microwave reheating.
Pyrex’s round and rectangular containers work well for leftover storage.
Their colorful plastic lids click tightly into place.
And wet foods won’t seep into lid joints thanks to their watertight silicone seal.
Nearly unbreakable and naturally BPA-free, Pyrex brings peace of mind along with convenience.
Just avoid extreme temperature changes to prevent cracks in the lustrous glass.
Hand wash only for best results.
Pros of Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Thermal Shock Resistant: Safe for freezer to oven use.
- Venting Lids: Allow steam to escape during microwaving.
- Versatile Shapes: Suitable for leftovers and meal prep.
- Secure Lid Closure: Ensures a tight seal.
- Watertight Seal: Prevents leaks.
- Durability: Nearly unbreakable and BPA-free.
- Easy Maintenance: Hand wash recommended.
Cons of Pyrex Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Weight: Heavier than plastic.
- Risk of Breakage: Can break if mishandled.
- Limited Microwave Lid Use: Lids may not withstand prolonged microwave use.
- Temperature Caution: Avoid extreme temperature changes to prevent cracks.
For a glass container set tailored to meal prepping, check out Prep Naturals.
Their bases interlock with the lids for stacked portability.
Bases also snap together so you can carry multiple pre-portioned meals.
Made of shatter-resistant, thermal-shock proof borosilicate, these containers keep food deliciously fresh.
Their rectangular shape fits nicely in the fridge and pockets.
Markings on the side denote cup and ounce measurements for perfect portions.
The locking plastic lids ensure no messy leaks in transit.
And the vented design prevents splatters in the microwave.
Affordably priced and optimized for on-the-go lifestyles, Prep Naturals simplifies healthy eating.
- Interlocking bases and lids for easy stacking and portability
- Bases snap together to carry multiple pre-portioned meals
- Made of shatter-resistant borosilicate glass for durability
- Rectangular shape fits refrigerator well and pocket-friendly
- Measurement markings for accurate portion control
- Locking lids prevent leaks when traveling
- Vented lids allow splatter-free microwaving
- Glass may break if dropped
- Heavier than plastic alternatives
- Higher initial cost compared to single-use plastic
BaycoError: Unknown Link Type
For budget-friendly glass storage, Bayco delivers.
Their soda lime glass containers are a wallet-friendly option.
The simple lid design still seals tightly and the glass base survives repeated dishwasher cycles.
Bayco’s line includes round, rectangular, and square shapes.
I recommend the rectangles for freezing and reheating meals.
The smaller sizes work nicely for storing leftovers and transporting dressings or dips.
The plastic lids aren’t as durable as pricier models.
But Bayco’s glass bottoms get the job done on a budget.
Just avoid temperature extremes and wash gently by hand.
Then they’ll provide reliable, affordable food storage.
Pros of Bayco Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Budget-Friendly: A wallet-friendly option for those on a budget.
- Tight Seal: Despite a simple lid design, it seals tightly.
- Dishwasher Safe: Glass base survives repeated dishwasher cycles.
- Variety of Shapes: Available in round, rectangular, and square shapes.
- Freezing and Reheating: Rectangles are recommended for freezing and reheating meals.
- Versatile Sizes: Smaller sizes are suitable for storing leftovers and dressings.
- Reliable and Affordable: Offers reliable food storage at an affordable price.
Cons of Bayco Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Less Durable Lids: Plastic lids may not be as durable as pricier models.
- Temperature Caution: Avoid extreme temperature changes and wash gently by hand to maintain longevity.
OXO Good Grips
Known for kitchen tools, OXO also makes innovative food containers.
Their Good Grips line features leakproof glass bases and BPA-free plastic lids.
The outer seal on the lid locks in freshness.
For portion control, the rectangle containers have helpful volume markings etched inside.
The modular sizes efficiently nest together.
OXO’s lids have flexible corners that pop on securely.
The glass withstands temps from -20 degrees F to 380 degrees F.
Silicone seals ensure no messes during transport.
Though pricy, the thoughtful design makes OXO containers a pleasure to use.
Their quality builds lasting value.
Pros of OXO Good Grips Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Leakproof Design: Features leakproof glass bases and BPA-free plastic lids.
- Freshness Lock: Outer seal on the lid locks in freshness.
- Portion Control: Rectangle containers have volume markings etched inside for portion control.
- Nesting Efficiency: Modular sizes efficiently nest together for space-saving storage.
- Secure Lids: Lids have flexible corners that pop on securely.
- Wide Temperature Range: Glass withstands temperatures from -20 degrees F to 380 degrees F.
- Mess-Free Transport: Silicone seals ensure no messes during transport.
- Quality Design: Though pricey, the thoughtful design enhances user experience.
- Lasting Value: Quality construction offers lasting value.
Cons of OXO Good Grips Glass Food Storage Containers:
- Higher Price: OXO containers are on the pricier side compared to some alternatives.
Key Points for Glass Container Sets
When selecting a complete set of glass food storage containers, keep these aspects in mind:
- Variety of sizes – Different shapes and capacities for diverse uses
- Lids included – At least one lid per container size
- Modular shapes – Squares, rounds, rectangles stack and nest nicely
- High-quality material – Durable soda lime or borosilicate glass
- Microwave and oven-safe – Withstands heating without cracking
- Airtight seal – Lids preserve freshness and prevent leaks
- Easy to clean – Dishwasher safe makes cleaning convenient
- Affordable price – Sets offer savings over individual containers
- Positive reviews – Choose reputable, top-rated options
An all-inclusive glass container set is convenient and cost-effective.
Just ensure it has the right variety of shapes, safety features, and top ratings to suit your storage needs.
Top Picks for Large Glass Food Storage Containers
When you need to store large batches of food or meal prep several servings at once, only a sizable glass container will do.
After testing many options, these are my top recommendations for big glass food storage:
Razab Extra Large Containers
With a generous 56 ounce capacity, Razab’s extra large glass containers are perfect for sizable meal prepping tasks.
Made from thermal shock resistant borosilicate, the rectangle shape easily fits multiple portions.
The BPA-free lid creates an airtight seal to keep food deliciously fresh.
It’s freezer, fridge, microwave, and oven safe up to 450°F.
Etched markings display measurements on the side for perfect portions every time.
Razab’s containers stack nicely and have large handles that make removing the snap-shut lids a breeze.
Affordably priced, their impressive capacity streamlines food storage and transport.
Pyrex 6-Cup Rectangle
For a versatile large glass container, Pyrex’s 6-cup size works great.
At 9 x 9 inches, it accommodates main dishes, casseroles, salads and more.
The included red plastic lid seals tightly.
Made of virtually unbreakable borosilicate glass, this dish takes high heat.
The vented lid allows steam to escape when reheating so contents don’t overflow.
Its transparency makes monitoring food a cinch.
Pyrex’s reputation for durability gives peace of mind.
The 6-cup rectangle has ample space for sizable meal preps and leftovers.
It reheats beautifully and keeps food tasting freshly made.
Glasslock 9-Cup Rectangle
Ideal for pasta, grains, and other sides, Glasslock’s 56 ounce container provides generous capacity.
The sturdy tempered soda lime glass survives hundreds of oven, microwave, and dishwasher cycles.
The attached lid features Grab-It handles that make removal easy.
It seals airtight to maintain freshness and contain leaks.
This large rectangular size accommodates several servings neatly.
Glasslock’s containers withstand temperatures from -40 degrees F to 450 degrees F for versatility.
Affordably priced, the spacious 9-cup rectangle simplifies meal prepping and storage.
Comprehensive Sets of Glass Food Storage Containers
For ultimate convenience, a complete glass container set is the way to go.
These are my top all-in-one picks:
Glasslock 18-Piece Set
Glasslock’s 18-piece assortment has a container for every need.
The set includes:
- (6) 3 Cup Rectangle
- (6) 2 Cup Rectangle
- (6) 1 Cup Rectangle
The modular rectangles allow you to mix and match sizes or nest them for compact storage.
Their shatterproof glass and BPA-free lids keep food fresh and prevent leaks.
Everything is freezer, microwave, and oven safe, surviving temperature extremes without cracking.
As a frequent meal prepper, having this comprehensive set in my kitchen is a gamechanger!
Pyrex 18-Piece Set
Made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, Pyrex’s 18-piece set offers incredible durability.
The containers nest for organized storage and their secure lids seal in freshness.
Included in the set:
- (4) 3 Cup Round
- (2) 3 Cup Rectangle
- (1) 6 Cup Rectangle
- (1) 7 Cup Round
The vented lids are ideal for microwave use.
Pyrex makes transporting and storing all types of foods fuss-free.
With such a wide assortment of shapes and sizes, this set suits any kitchen.
Amazon Basics Glass Set
For an affordable starter set, consider Amazon Basics’ glass container assortment.
The tempered soda lime glass survives repeated oven and dishwasher use.
The 18-piece set contains:
- (6) 0.5 Cup Round
- (5) 1.3 Cup Round
- (3) 3.4 Cup Rectangle
- (2) Lids
- (2) Snap Lids
The modular sizes provide different options for snacks, leftovers, and meal prepping.
While not as advanced as Pyrex or Glasslock, these basic glass containers get the job done without breaking the bank.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose glass over plastic containers?
Glass storage containers are more durable, resist stains and odors, and don’t leach chemicals unlike plastic containers.
Glass makes it easy to monitor meal prep contents.
Glass is naturally BPA-free and best for high-heat sterilization in the oven or dishwasher.
For longevity, glass is a healthier, longer-lasting material choice over plastic.
How do you clean glass food containers?
Handwashing is gentlest for glass to prevent wear over time.
Use mild dish soap, avoid abrasive scrubbers.
Most quality glass meal prep containers are dishwasher-safe for convenience but handwash lids to preserve seals.
Avoid exposing glass to extreme high or low temperatures.
What should you not store in glass?
Avoid long-term storage of high-acid foods like tomatoes in glass containers, which can degrade the glass over time.
Oily foods may seep under lid seals of glass containers and be hard to clean as well.
Limit pungent foods like garlic and onions which can impart odors to glass meal prep containers.
Check glass container specs for microwave-safe info before heating to avoid cracks or breaks.
How do you organize glass food storage containers?
Store glass food storage containers with their matching glass lids attached to save space.
Group glass containers by size or stack rectangular containers inside each other.
Use shelf dividers, bins, or turntables to neatly organize and corral your favorite glass food storage containers.
Label contents on the lids with masking tape and markers.
Should glass food storage containers be airtight?
A tight seal on glass food storage containers preserves freshness best, prevents leaks, and contains smells.
The lid should snap securely to the container base.
Look for glass containers with silicone lids or rubber seals for the best airtight seal.
A loud “pop” when removing the lid gives it the seal of approval and indicates a strong vacuum seal.
Are there microwave-safe glass food storage containers?
Most glass food storage containers are microwave-safe but the lids may warp over time.
Use containers with vented lids and remove lids before heating to allow steam to escape and avoid splatters.
Avoid drastic temperature changes going from freezer to microwave or hot oven with glass.
Handle hot glass carefully.
How do you transport glass food storage containers safely?
Avoid dropping or excessive rattling of your favorite leakproof glass food storage containers during transport.
Wrap glass in towels or carry in insulated lunch boxes for protection.
Use larger glass containers with locking lids or snap tight covers to prevent spills.
Choose rounded corners versus sharp edges on glass.
Place glass containers delicately in your bag, cushioned by other soft items.
Are glass storage containers freezer safe?
Most soda-lime and borosilicate glass can safely go from fridge to freezer.
Just avoid putting hot foods into the glass containers before freezing – let them cool first.
Don’t move straight from freezer to oven; defrost in fridge instead.
How long does glass food storage last?
High-quality glass containers can last for many years if handled with care.
However, with repeated use, especially in the dishwasher, you may notice wear and scratches over time.
To prolong their lifespan, avoid using abrasive cleaners.
It’s worth noting that the seals on glass containers can eventually fail.
If you come across glass that has become cracked, cloudy, or shows signs of wear, it’s advisable to replace it.
What size glass containers are best for meal prep?
For meal prep, consider a versatile combination of glass containers.
Opt for larger containers, such as 5-7 cup rectangle bases, which are ideal for main dishes.
Complement these with 2-3 cup rounds or squares for sides and snacks.
Having a range of sizes allows you to mix and match for meal prepping variety.
Additionally, investing in divided containers can be beneficial for organizing meal components to suit your personal preference.
When chosen carefully, high-quality glass food storage offers unparalleled advantages over disposable plastics.
Invest in durable glass containers like Pyrex and Glasslock for longevity.
Or select an all-in-one set for convenience across all your storage needs.
With our tips, you can discover glassware to take your kitchen organization to the next level!
With the right set of glass food storage containers, you can streamline your kitchen organization and combat food waste.
Use this guide to shop for durable, versatile options customized to your lifestyle needs.
Seek out trusted brands, leakproof lid designs, and useful features like marked measurements on the sides.
And don’t forget the safety fundamentals – tempered glass and BPA-free plastic lids are a must!
Before stocking up, be sure to check out my next guide on maximizing refrigerator space.
Learn clever stacking methods to efficiently corral all those sturdy glass containers!
Was this helpful?
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.