Is cranberry juice good for diabetics? Cranberry juice is a popular beverage that has a sweet and tangy flavor. Cranberries are small berries that grow on the branches of red berry trees, which only grow in North America and Europe. The fruit has been used as food since ancient times. In 1580s, it was found out that dried cranberries can be effective in preventing urinary tract infections and other bacterial conditions.
For this reason, they were widely added to foods and drinks such as jams, jellies, sauces and even wine. Today, cranberry juice is one of the most popular beverages around the world. It contains high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants. In this blog, we also have an article about best drinks for type two diabetes that you might want to read about it.
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high. Blood glucose is your main source of energy and comes from the food you eat. Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps glucose from food get into your cells to be used for energy.”National Institute of Diabetes And Digestive And Kidney Diseases
Is Cranberry Juice Good for Diabetics
If you have diabetes, you can still eat most meals as long as you watch your carbohydrate consumption and portion sizes. Although cranberry juice is high in nutrients, it is low in fiber. This means that when you drink a pleasant glass of this beverage, the sugar in it is quickly absorbed by your body, causing a sudden jump in blood sugar levels.
In general, it is preferable to ingest entire fruits rather than fruit liquids. Because whole fruits include more nutrients and fiber, they have a lower impact on blood sugar levels. If you want to drink pure cranberry juice, limit yourself to half a cup (125 mL). According to the diabetic food exchange list, this is considered a single serving and contains around 15 grams of sugar carbohydrates.
Alternatively, choose light cranberry juice, which has half the calories and sugar of regular cranberry juice. It’s often manufactured with artificial sweeteners like sucralose and may cause a little spike in blood sugar. However, everyone’s tolerance for cranberry juice differs. If you have diabetes and have consumed cranberry juice, it is recommended that you closely check your blood sugar levels. If you have any questions about managing your blood sugar levels, talk to your diabetes educator.
Diabetes mellitus, commonly known as diabetes, is a metabolic disease that causes high blood sugar.”Marina Basina, M.D. author form healthline.com
Cranberry juice is a healthy drink that many people appreciate. However, it contains a lot of sugar and might produce a blood sugar surge, which can be dangerous if you have diabetes. Choose pure, unsweetened cranberry juice and limit yourself to a 1/2-cup (125-mL) portion, which has around 15 grams of carbohydrates from naturally occurring sugar. Choose a mild, unsweetened cranberry juice instead for less sugar and calories.
Even though you can drink cranberry juice in moderation if you have diabetes, it’s still vital to monitor your blood sugar levels. Speak with your healthcare provider if you have any concerns about regulating your blood sugar. In limited amounts, cranberry juice, like other foods, may be a component of a balanced diet, even for persons with diabetes.
What are the benefits and health effects of drinking cranberry juice?
A healthy diet includes many types of nutritious food. One of them is cranberry juice. Why do you need to know about the health effects of cranberry? What are the best ways to consume it? There is much information available online. Also, we have compiled some useful facts here regarding the health-promoting properties of cranberry juice. So, read on!
The health benefits of consuming cranberry juice include
- Aids digestion – Cranberry juice can help reduce stomach acidity and prevent or heal ulcers.
- Prevents urinary tract infection – Cranberry may lower bacteria levels in the bladder. This helps prevent an inflammation of the bladder lining called cystitis. And if there is already an infection, then it will lessen the pain and risk of complication.
- Fights candida overgrowth – When there is too much bad bacteria in your body, the immune system becomes compromised and it allows candidiasis to thrive. Drinking cranberry juice daily can help restore balance in the gut where good bacteria live.
- Helps fight cancerous cells – According to studies conducted by The University of Maryland Medical Center, cranberry juice may slow down or kill tumor cells and inhibit their growth.
- Relieves symptoms of gout – Gout is caused when uric acid crystals build up in joints and cause intense pain. Cranberry juice may dissolve these crystals and relieve the pain associated with this condition.
- Improves heart health – Cranberry juice prevents cholesterol from sticking to artery walls and lowers blood pressure. It also helps protect against clogged arteries and increases HDL cholesterol.
- Reduces plaque buildup – Cranberries contain tannins, which break down cell membranes and remove toxins.
Our Latest Post:
- Is Heath Bar Gluten Free
- How Fiber For Diabetes Helps Control High Blood Sugar? 2 Shocking Facts You Didn’t Know
- What Fiber Is Good For Diabetes? 5 Low-Priced Fibers Have High Benefits
Hi there! I’m a food enthusiast and journalist, and I have a real passion for food that goes beyond the kitchen. I love my dream job and I’m lucky enough to be able to share my knowledge with readers of several large media outlets. My specialty is writing engaging food-related content, and I take pride in being able to connect with my audience. I’m known for my creativity in the kitchen, and I’m confident that I can be the perfect guide for anyone looking to take their culinary journey to the next level.