Is garlic good for diabetic patient? Garlic is one of the most nutritious food items in the world. It is used in cooking, medicinal purposes and also as a home remedy. Today, we are going to discuss how garlic can help with diabetic patients. In this blog, we also have an article about the best diabetes support supplement that you might want to read about it.
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high.”NIDDK
What is diabetes
Diabetes is a disease that affects the body’s ability to produce or respond to insulin. Insulin is a hormone that regulates the levels of glucose (sugar) in the blood. If you have diabetes, your body either doesn’t produce enough insulin or can’t use the insulin it makes as well as it should. Over time, this leads to high levels of sugar in the blood, which can lead to serious health problems.
There are three main types of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the body’s immune system attacks the insulin-producing cells (called beta cells) in the pancreas. In type 2 diabetes, the body becomes resistant to insulin and therefore cannot convert glucose into energy. Gestational diabetes occurs during pregnancy; babies born with gestational diabetes usually develop full-blown diabetes within days of birth.
Diabetes is a number of diseases that involve problems with the hormone insulin.”webmd.com
Who gets diabetes
People who don’t have any risk factors for developing diabetes but still get it tend to be people with family history of the condition. It may also occur if one person has obesity while another does not. Obesity is a strong risk factor for both types of diabetes. People who develop type 1 and type 2 diabetes at younger ages are more likely to die early from other causes than diabetes. However, once they reach middle age, they face higher risks of heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, blindness, amputation due to diabetes, and premature death.
How diabetes develops
- Type 1: This occurs when the pancreas stops making insulin and the person needs to take medication to regulate his/her blood glucose level. This form of diabetes used to be called juvenile onset diabetes because it mainly affects children and young adults. The disease tends to be diagnosed later in life compared to type 2 diabetes.
- Type 2: This is the most common form of diabetes among older people. About 90 percent of diabetics over 65 years old have type 2 diabetes. They become overweight and obese by eating too much and staying inactive. As their bodies undergo changes in response to excess fat, inflammation and insulin resistance result in less efficient use of insulin. Ultimately, these changes make it harder for the body to process sugar for energy, leading to elevated blood sugar levels.
- Gestational Diabetes: People with gestational diabetes are found to have normal blood sugar after fasting. They often return to normal without treatment. But they may go on to develop diabetes later in life and have to manage it similarly to people with type 2 diabetes.
What is Garlic
Garlic is the plant that produces garlic cloves. It is a close relative of the onion and is in the same family as the leek, chive, and shallot. Garlic was used in ancient times to treat infections. Today, we know that garlic contains many powerful compounds, including sulfur compounds known as thiosulfinates.
These sulfur compounds give garlic its distinctive odor. We do not fully understand how garlic works against bacteria, viruses, fungi, yeast, and parasites. Below I will show you about is garlic good for diabetic patient or not.
Is Garlic Good For Diabetic Patient?
So, is garlic good for diabetic patient? Yes it is! Garlic is great food for diabetics. It is rich in antioxidants and it helps in lowering the blood sugar level. When consumed regularly, it keeps the blood sugar level under control. The best part about it is that it is a very healthy food and doesn’t have any side effects on diabetic patients.
What Are The Benefits of Eating Garlic With Diabetes?
- Several studies show that eating modest quantities of garlic (at least one clove or equivalent daily) may help manage blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes.
- The results of nine trials on garlic and diabetes revealed that consuming 0.05-1.5g of garlic supplement daily resulted in a substantial decrease in fasting blood glucose (sugar) within 1-2 weeks.
- Furthermore, by week 12, A1C was much lower. Garlic eating has also been demonstrated to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol while raising HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Garlic may also help your heart by lowering blood pressure and may lower the risk of cardiovascular events (such as heart attack and stroke) in those who have high blood pressure.
Our Latest Post:
- Is Heath Bar Gluten Free
- How Fiber For Diabetes Helps Control High Blood Sugar? 2 Shocking Facts You Didn’t Know
- What Fiber Is Good For Diabetes? 5 Low-Priced Fibers Have High Benefits
I love cooking because it's so relaxing! I just put on my favorite tunes, and then get to work. First I'll look up what kind of food I want to cook, and find a good recipe for it. Then when the meal is ready everyone usually can't stop telling me how much they loved everything that was made. It makes me feel really accomplished knowing that people liked what I made for them!