Is melatonin bad for diabetics? Melatonin is a hormone that helps regulate sleep and the body’s circadian rhythm. It is synthesized by the pineal gland in the brain and is secreted into the blood stream at night, helping to initiate sleep.
Melatonin also has anti-cancer properties, which makes it useful for diabetics as it helps prevent glucose intolerance. Read this article until end to know is melatonin bad for diabetics or not. In this blog, we also have an article about the best diabetes support supplement that you might want to read about it.
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your blood glucose, also called blood sugar, is too high.”NIDDK
What is diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic condition where the body cannot produce insulin. This is because the body’s immune system attacks the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This makes it hard for the body to break down sugars and fats, so the sugar builds up in the blood. The most common type of diabetes is Type II Diabetes (or adult onset).
Diabetes is a number of diseases that involve problems with the hormone insulin.”webmd.com
Types of diabetes
There are two main types of diabetes:
This occurs when your body does not make any insulin at all. It can be caused by an autoimmune disease that causes the body to attack its own beta cells in the pancreas or genetics. In this case you have to inject yourself with insulin every day of your life.
In this form of diabetes, the body still produces some insulin but it doesn’t work properly. Most people who have type II diabetes have the symptoms of high blood pressure, fatigue, heart problems, kidney problems, nerve damage, and vision problems. People with type II diabetes may become overweight due to an increase appetite caused by their medication.
The cause of diabetes is unknown, but lifestyle factors seem to play a role. Smoking increases your risk of developing diabetes, as does lack of exercise. There may also be genetic predisposition to develop the disorder.
What is Melatonin
Melatonin is a hormone that is produced in the brain, but it can also be found in the pineal gland. It is the hormone that regulates the sleep cycle. It is released when it is dark. It is also released when it is light, but it does not have the same effect on us when the sun is shining. Normally, our bodies release more melatonin during the night than they do during the daytime. But if we don’t get enough sleep, the levels of melatonin are lowered.
If someone has diabetes, there is usually no change in their normal amount of melatonin. However, studies show that people with diabetes often have lower melatonin levels compared to people without diabetes. Melatonin might help control blood glucose levels. Some research shows that melatonin helps reduce blood sugar and stabilize moods.
Is Melatonin Bad For Diabetics
So, is melatonin bad for diabetics? Here are the breakdown for it:
- Type 2 diabetes, by far the most prevalent type of diabetes, occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin or does not utilize it efficiently. Insulin is a hormone that is required for the conversion of sugar (glucose) from diet into energy.
- Melatonin receptors are distributed throughout the body, especially in pancreatic islet cells, which create insulin. According to the research, this link shows that melatonin may also play a function in glucose metabolism.
- A study of women in the United States discovered that those with the lowest levels of melatonin had more than double the risk of type 2 diabetes as those with the greatest levels of the hormone. This link remained even after the researchers accounted for other type 2 diabetes risk variables such as body weight and eating habits.
Our Latest Post:
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- Is Heath Bar Gluten Free
- How Fiber For Diabetes Helps Control High Blood Sugar? 2 Shocking Facts You Didn’t Know
- What Fiber Is Good For Diabetes? 5 Low-Priced Fibers Have High Benefits