Are Silicone Cooking Spoons Safe
So, are silicone cooking spoons safe? Yes, you can safely use silicone cooking utensils. To be safe, only use silicone kitchen equipment that have been approved by the FDA and are marked “Generally Regarded as Safe” (GRAS). When purchasing silicone kitchen utensils, make sure they are made of food-grade silicone. In this blog, we also have an article about best cooking spoons on amazon that you might want to read about it.
A kitchen utensil that is used for several purposes, such as stirring, serving and transferring food. It has a bowl shaped head attached to a handle or the spoon may be constructed with the bowl shaped head and handle all as one piece.”Recipetips.com
What is Silicon Cooking Utensils
Silicone is basically a synthetic rubber, which is prepared by combining silicon, oxygen and carbons, bonded in a defined ratio. However, these elements like oxygen, silicon, and carbons are naturally occurring and are usually safe to use.
Most manufacturers add some type of plasticizers or extenders to the base polymer to facilitate molding, extrusion or other manufacturing processes. Some common ingredients used as extenders or plasticizers are: Butane or other petroleum-based compounds; Linear polymers such as polyethylene (HDPE) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE); Phthalates; and Tri-n-butyl phosphate (TBP).
Some manufacturers of silicone products, especially the lower-priced ones, may not disclose the chemical ingredients that go into their products. In this case, it’s up to you as the consumer to do your own research and discover whether or not a given product is safe for you to use.
Silicone is a synthetic polymer, which is non-toxic, odorless, tasteless, colorless, and does not react with water, oxygen, or any other elements. It is approved by the FDA for internal human body use and can be used in manufacturing medical devices, dental appliances, food packaging, cookware, cutlery, cosmetics, lubricants, sealants, coatings, and many other applications. Silicone is naturally occurring in the Earth’s crust.
Silicone, a synthetic rubber made of bonded silicon (a natural element abundant in sand and rock) and oxygen, is increasingly filling this niche.”scientificamerican.com
Benefits Silicon Cooking Utensils
Silicone utensils and bakeware have been gaining popularity recently due to their versatility and fun colors. Silicone utensils such as spatulas work well with nonstick cookware, and silicone bakeware are favored for their high nonstick quality.
- Unlike metal or glass, silicone is 100% food safe, and it can be used in the microwave, on the stovetop, and even oven. What you should know about these products:
- They are very inexpensive – about 1/3 the cost of comparable metal or glass products.
- They come in a huge variety of styles – from simple pancake turners to spatulas with ergonomic curves, which makes them easy to use with any type of cookware.
- They are extremely durable – silicone is virtually indestructible! It can be boiled, baked at 300°F, used in the dishwasher, and even scratched with a knife and still continue to perform like new.
- They are 100% non-toxic and made with silicones, which are safe for people and the environment.
- They are very easy to clean – just hand wash with water and a mild soap, and they will come out looking like new.
- They have a very low “memory” – unlike metal or glass, silicone utensils and bakeware return to their original shape easily.
- They won’t scratch or damage surfaces such as wood, plastic, or painted surfaces.
Drawback from Silicon Cooking Utensils
- Although silicon is 100% food safe, it is not 100% bacteria safe. If you are using them to stir soups, stews, or other hot liquids, it is best to use a separate spoon for stirring rather than one made of silicone. Also, because of the porous nature of silicone, it is best to always use a new spoon for each use rather than reusing a previously used one. This is especially important when using silicone bakeware, as the porous surface allows moisture and grease to seep through.
- Because of this, they should not be used on directly-heated surfaces such as an electric stovetop or in an oven. You can use them in a microwave however.
- Silicone is not recommended for use on nonstick surfaces, as it will adhere to the coating. If you do use silicone on a nonstick surface, it is advised that you apply a thin coating of cooking spray or oil to the surface before using the utensil.
- Can A Rice Cooker Cook Beans? Yes! 9 Superb Steps To Do It Easily
- Is Rice Cooker Bad For Health? 3 Superb Reasons Why It’s Good For Your Health
- Why Is A Rice Cooker Better? 7 Superb Facts About This Kitchen Appliance