What to do when kitchen sink is clogged? Have you ever had a clogged kitchen sink? It’s not a fun feeling when you are trying to get your dishes done and the water won’t drain.
This can be a very frustrating situation, but thankfully there are plenty of things you can do to unclog your kitchen sink. Read this article until end to know more about how to do it. In this blog, we also have an article about commercial kitchen sink depth that you might want to read about it.
What To Do When Kitchen Sink Is Clogged
1. Use boiling water as a weapon
When hair, grease, soap residue, and other material get clogged in your drain, boiling water may be all that is required to unclog it. It’s the simplest solution, which means it should be attempted first when unclogging a sink. As simple as 1-2-3, the following are the actions to take:
- Bring a half gallon of water to a boil on the stove or in a kettle.
- Directly into the drain hole, pour the hot water.
- Turn on the faucet and check to see whether the water drains steadily. Repeat the method if the water is still draining slowly or standing motionless in the sink.
- Important note: Do not attempt this procedure if your drain is connected to PVC pipes, as the boiling water may cause the plastic to melt or get damaged.
If boiling water does not clear the clog on the second attempt, it is time to try another option. Regrettably, you now have a tough sink blockage that defies the simple boiling water solution.
2. Inspect the waste disposal system.
If you have a trash disposal in your sink, it might be the source of your drainage problems. If the clog is in the disposal, turning it on typically dislodges it. While overheated or defective disposals may not turn on at all, you may easily reboot them by using the reset button on the side or bottom of the machine. Restart the disposal after resetting it to remove the obstruction.
When you switch on the disposal, you may hear a low humming sound, which indicates that the machine is stuck or faulty. Before attempting to repair your disposal, remember to turn off the device’s electricity and never – and we mean never – place your hand in the unit. From there, you may attempt to dislodge the blockage in the disposal by manually spinning the blades.
This is accomplished by placing an Allen wrench into the opening at the bottom of the disposal and twisting until you feel reduced resistance, indicating that the blockage is breaking apart. If it does not work, try these strategies for clearing a clogged trash disposal. Reconnect the power and test the disposal once it is unclogged. If everything seems to be in order, turn the faucet to check that the sink drainage has returned to normal.
Bear in mind that your trash disposal examination may disclose no obstructions or problems, in which case you may go directly to an alternative way of unclogging.
3. Plunge the obstruction away
After determining that the disposal is not the issue, it’s time to pull out the plunger. However, bear in mind that although you may use a toilet plunger if that is all you have on hand, Dengarden recommended a flat-bottomed one for the task. With your plunger in hand, do the following steps:
- Fill the sink halfway with hot water to form a seal around the drain.
- Plunge the plunger into the drain and rapidly pump up and down many times.
- Withdraw the plunger and see if the water drains.
- Rep till the water drains freely.
If the sink continues to drain improperly after several efforts at plunging, you know the drill. It’s time to experiment with a new technique.
Our Latest Post:
- What is a Coffee Pot Slider? Interesting Facts to Know
- 4 Tips And Tricks To Maximize Space In A Restaurant Fridge, It’s Helpful! (2022)
- The Best Croissant Dough Sheeter for Home Use 
I love cooking because it's so relaxing! I just put on my favorite tunes, and then get to work. First I'll look up what kind of food I want to cook, and find a good recipe for it. Then when the meal is ready everyone usually can't stop telling me how much they loved everything that was made. It makes me feel really accomplished knowing that people liked what I made for them!