What is Honey
Why does honey crystallize in the jar? Honey is a complex product made of sugars, which are molecules that bond together to form crystals. Crystals come in different shapes and sizes, depending on the type of sugar. The process of crystallization is a chemical reaction caused by the action of water. Honey is a natural substance made by bees. Bees make honey from nectar, which is the plant’s sugary liquid and water mixture produced by flowers.
The more the plant produces, the more it will produce of this unique product. Beekeepers collect honey in honeycombs, which are built up of wax, pollen and propolis. Bees also store their pollen on top of their nests to feed the larvae when they are small enough to eat the food directly from their environment. In this blog, we also have an article about honey jar that you might want to read about it.
Honey is a sweet, viscous food substance made by honey bees and some other bees. Bees produce honey from the sugary secretions of plants or from secretions of other insects, by regurgitation, enzymatic activity, and water evaporation.”Wikipedia.org
Why Does Honey Crystallize In The Jar?
So, why does honey crystallize in the jar? Crystallization of honey occurs if its sugar content is too high. This happens if bees gather a lot of nectar in the same place. The excess amount of nectar accumulates in the hive where it gets heated. When the heat exceeds 60 degrees Celsius, it converts into vapor and takes part in the formation of a sugar cloud that gradually condenses into crystals. As soon as the temperature drops below 60 degrees, the process stops.
Though your honey may darken and crystalize over time, it’s still safe to eat! Whether in a glass or plastic bottle, honey can return to its original liquid glory.”Foodnetwork.com
How to avoid crystallization?
You can prevent this problem by keeping your honey containers away from direct sunlight and heating appliances. Try to control bee activity in hives so that there is no surplus of nectar. If you see that your honey is getting cloudy, pour out some of it and return it back. Do not refrigerate honey or put it in the freezer. Refrigeration only causes the crystals to grow bigger and bigger.
How to remove honey crystals?
To get rid of honey crystals you need to warm the honey again until it is just slightly warmer than room temperature. Then slowly stir the honey and let it cool down completely. After cooling, it won’t stick together anymore.
Component of Honey
Honey is naturally sweet because it contains fructose, glucose, sucrose, lactose and other sugars. In addition, honey contains amino acids, vitamins, minerals and enzymes that play an important role in the body. There are 3 types of honey: 1. Raw honey, 2. Manuka honey, 3. Brown honey or white honey. Some people use raw honey for cooking while others prefer manuka honey for its antibacterial properties.
Benefits of Honey
If you want to know why you should add honey to your daily diet, then here are some reasons. You can read our article about benefits of honey.
- Honey is a great alternative to sugar. It has the same effects as added sugar but without all the extra calories.
- Honey has been used as a medicine since ancient times. For example, it was first documented in Egypt in 3000 BC. Hippocrates said, “honey heals everything”. And he was right!
- Honey helps with digestion. Because it has carbohydrates, protein and fiber, honey makes it easier to digest. This prevents gas, bloating and cramping, reduces appetite and increases energy levels.
- Honey improves brain health. It boosts cognitive abilities and concentration, so it is great for students. Studies show that those who drink a glass of honey twice a day have better memory than those who do not.
- Honey is good for wounds. If you get hurt, try to apply honey instead of bandages. When applied to cuts and scrapes, honey speeds healing because it encourages blood clotting and tissue repair.
- Honey relieves cough and cold symptoms. A study carried out at Loma Linda University showed that children suffering from bronchitis improved after consuming honey.
- Honey is anti-inflammatory. It eliminates bacteria, viruses and toxins from the digestive system. This means that it protects against infection. Use it as a mouthwash several times a week to reduce inflammation from gum disease and tooth decay.
- Honey is antiseptic. It kills microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and mold spores. Using honey regularly is very helpful if you suffer from allergies. Just place a few drops onto your hands before touching your face.
- Honey is moisturizing. It keeps skin soft and supple, making it suitable for anyone who suffers from dryness. Put two teaspoons into a bowl containing warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes a day.
How old should my honey be?
The age of your honey depends entirely on how long you have kept it and what conditions you keep it under. Freshly harvested honey should be stored at a constant temperature between 14 – 20 degrees Celsius and preferably not above 30 degrees Celsius.
If you leave your honey outside during summer, it may take longer than one year before it becomes dark brown. Your honey should look like a caramel syrup with golden coloring. If it starts turning darker, then don’t worry about it and continue to consume it. If you want your honey to taste better, buy it fresh!
Our Latest Post:
- 2 Best Countertop Food Warmer Recommendation on Amazon
- Portable Food Warmer for Catering – 2 Amazing Recommendation on Amazon
- Best Boba Pearl Maker – YJINGRUI Commercial Fully Automatic Pearl Pot Pearl Tapioca Cooker Pearl Maker 5L Review