How to use kitchen shears? Kitchen shears are one of the most important tools in your kitchen. These handy shears make quick work of food preparation and cutting tasks. And a pair of shears is an indispensable item for anyone who loves to cook or has a lot of small food prep jobs to do. We’ve got all the information you need to know about these essential kitchen utensils. In this blog, we also have an article about best kitchen shears on amazon that you might want to read about it.
A kitchen tool, specifically made for food preparation, that is more versatile than a standard pair of cutting scissors. This utensil is made with a plastic or rubber coated handle which are often textured allowing for ease of cutting and gripping.”recipetips.com
What is Kitchen Shears
Kitchen shears are a type of scissors with a blade on one side and a serrated edge on the other. They are most often used for cutting through the tough skin of a chicken. When you cut a piece out of the carcass, you want to make sure that the knife cuts right up against the bones so that it doesn’t take off any meat or pull off pieces of bone with it. This is why the knife should be pressed firmly into the chicken as you go along. You do not want to start using your normal scissor action because this will cause the knife to slip and remove more meat.
A good way to get a feel for how to cut through the skin of a chicken is to practice first on an old pillow case. If you don’t have an old pillow case lying around, then just use a clean towel or something similar. Use kitchen shears to hold down the neck area while you work your way down towards the breast. For best results, cut in from both sides of the bird at once. Your goal is to get all the skin off without removing too much meat. Once you’ve gotten all the skin off, turn over the chicken and repeat the process for the backside.
Kitchen shears are one of those afterthought culinary tools. Many people simply don’t have them, and I’d be willing to wager that among those who do, it’s more often than not the cheap pair that comes as part of a knife-block set.”Daniel Gritzer, author from seriouseats.com
How To Use Kitchen Shears
Below, I will show you how to use kitchen shears for helping you up in the kitchen:
- Cutting meat: Cut the meat apart to break it down. Scissors are easier to use than knives for cutting into slippery foods, notably fish, and tiny areas. Insert the scissor points into the fish’s belly towards the tail. Cut down the belly all the way to the head. Snip off the head and the fins using the scissors. You may then neatly cut off the desired meat without having to use a cutting board. To open up a fowl, cut off the backbone or rib cage. Remove the wings and thighs from the body by cutting them where they meet. Because these joints are tiny, it is simpler to clip them using scissors rather than a knife. It’s also simpler to cut up bacon using scissors.
- Cutting Herbs and spices: Fresh herbs and spices should be shredded. There’s minimal chance of sliding and hurting oneself with kitchen scissors. Leafy herbs like basil and oregano may be picked by snipping the leaves from the stems. Place the leaves in a dish and chop away until they’re as little as you want them to be. The leaves will not be bruised as a result of the clean cutting. Solid herbs and spices, such as garlic and ginger, are similarly simple to cut into bits with scissors.
- Remove the roots and stems from fruits and vegetables: Leafy tops, such as those seen on carrots and strawberries, may be easily removed. Scissors are also useful for cutting roots and woody stems from scallions and mushrooms. Cut the broccoli florets off at the stem. The sharper blade may be used to scrape away black stains and other defects as well.
Types of kitchen shears
Kitchen shears are a must-have in every kitchen. They help you cut and slice fruits, vegetables, meats, and other foods without making a mess. There are many types of kitchen shears available in the market, each with its own purpose. Some are best for cutting through thick meats while others are best for cutting through thin slices of meat. Some can cut through fruits and vegetables while others can cut through bones. The best kitchen shears to buy will depend on your personal. Here are the list about it:
Kitchen Shears With A Serrated Edge
This type is better for cutting hard materials like cheeses, breads, and meats. The edges are sharp enough to easily cut through these ingredients without ripping them apart. These knives also tend to be heavier than those with smooth blades.
Kitchen Shears With Double Blades
These are commonly known as paring knives. A double edged knife can be used for a variety of tasks such as carving roast beef, peeling apples, and trimming fat from a steak. Unlike regular shears, these knives come equipped with two separate blades. One blade has a straight edge while the other has a curved edge. Use the curved blade for delicate jobs like prying open jars and tomatoes. The straight blade works well for large cuttings and rough jobs.
Benefits of kitchen shears
Kitchen shears are a great tool to have in the kitchen. They can be used to cut up chicken, vegetables, and even cakes. They can also be used to cut up a whole chicken and make it into pieces. They are also useful for cutting up herbs and other foods. Here are the list benefits of it:
No need to sharpen
Since there is no metal blade, they don’t require frequent sharpening. Because you’re only using the serrated edge to cut, they won’t dull quickly either.
Safe for food safety
The serrated edge means that there is less chance for accidents when cutting hot items. When you have a set of kitchen shears on hand, you never have to worry about burning yourself accidentally or getting contaminated by bacteria.
Great for beginners
If you’ve been cooking for a long time but haven’t mastered the art of cutting, a kitchen shears will give you a great new skill to add to your repertoire.
Easy to clean
Although some people may think that they cannot clean their kitchen shears because of the serrated edges, this isn’t true. It’s easy to clean if you put your kitchen shears into dishwasher when you’re done. Just rinse them under water after washing.
Our Latest Post:
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- How To Fix Pull Down Kitchen Faucet
- How To Clean A Pull Down Kitchen Faucet Spray
- What Is A Dish Rack Used For? 7 Superb Usages Of Dish Rack That You Should Know