The oyster knife is an indispensable tool for everyone who enjoys eating raw oysters. Do you know how to use oyster knife? It’s a unique and useful kitchen tool that can open oysters with ease. But this versatile kitchen utensil also has several other uses, including serving as a spatula or a scoop. In this blog, we also have an article about best oyster knife that you might want to read about it.
A utensil that is used to pry open the hard shell of an oyster or clam in order to remove the meat.”Recipetips.com
What is oyster knife
Oyster knife is a small hand tool used to cut oysters, which are served as a delicacy in many cuisines. The name comes from the shape of the blade; it is shaped like an oyster shell. A few oyster knives have been found in archaeological digs, but they weren’t until the 20th century that these knives became popular among cooks and chefs.
Oyster knives come in several shapes and sizes, each of which are ideal for opening a different size or shape of oyster — remember, oysters really run the gamut.”Foodrepublic.com
How to use oyster knife properly
Using an oyster knife correctly is very important, here are the steps how to use oyster knife:
- Oyster knife should not be used on any flat surface, such as countertops or cookware.
- Always keep your oyster knife at least 1 inch above or below the food being prepared.
- When using an oyster knife as a spatula, make sure that the tip of the blade touches only one side of the dish. This will prevent tipping over when you lift up the spatula. If the blade is too close to the food, it could ruin the taste.
- A good rule of thumb: Keep your oyster knife at arm’s length – about 4 inches away from the food.
- Don’t hold it by its handle; instead, grip the end of the blade with your palm.
- Keep your hands clean and dry if possible.
- Wash oyster knives after each use. You don’t want to accidentally put a dirty oyster knife into the sink!
Types of oyster knives
There are different types of oyster knives available on the market today. Here are two examples of them:
The classic style
This is a traditional oyster knife design. It doesn’t come with a sheath. Some models feature a plastic handle with a silicone coating. This allows you to wipe off any residue while cooking.
The modern style
This type of oyster knife features a stainless steel blade with a black-colored handle. They usually come with a nylon pouch to store it safely.
Tips on choosing oyster knife
- Choose a model that suits your needs. For instance, you might prefer a longer blade so that you can easily slice thick slices of meat.
- Be aware that some oyster knives can actually damage the shells of oysters.
- Make sure that the oyster knife is sharp enough to be able to cut through the tough outer membrane.
- The best way to sharpen your oyster knife is to place it between two layers of sandpaper and rub down the blade with it. Be careful not to scratch your surface.
- You also need to pay attention to the size of the blade. A larger blade means more power and better control, but it may also cause the shell to crack.
- Another tip would be to invest in a sharpening kit for your oyster knife. This will save you time and money in the long run.
Cooking with oyster knife
If you plan to serve oysters raw, then you definitely need an oyster knife. If you are planning to boil oysters, then there’s no need for anything special.
However, if you plan to eat raw oysters inside their own shells, then you should always consider buying a large oyster knife. These blades are often made out of rubber and are very helpful because you won’t risk damaging the delicate shells.
But even if you decide to boil or grill oysters, do remember to wash your hands before handling them. Never touch a cooked oyster with your bare hands!
Some people think that it is impossible to eat raw oysters without breaking the shells. However, this isn’t true. In fact, some brands of oysters are already opened and ready to enjoy. All you need to do is remove the top row of soft tissue from the oyster and slurp away!
Our Latest Post:
Shop & Donate
For every purchase in the month of March 2022, we will donate $5 from every transaction to a selected charity every month. Place your order today by visiting our store!
- Start Now! Ice Cream Trailer Ideas: 5 Superb Benefits Mobile Ice Cream Business
- Cuisinart Toaster Oven Air Fryer Review: The Superb Best Air Fryer? (2022)
- Whynter vs Breville Ice Cream Maker: Superb Overview and Comparison (2022)