With such a wide range of duties of poultry shears, it’s no wonder your poultry shears will eventually lose their edge. Do you know how to sharpen poultry shears? But don’t worry; the following guides, it can help you keep your tools sharp as they were when you bought them! In this blog, we also have an article about best poultry shears on amazon that you might want to see about it. Here’s how to sharpen poultry shears.
If you cook a lot of poultry, making sure your kitchen is equipped with a durable, sturdy pair of poultry shears is essential.”Sara Tane, author from thespruceeats.com
How To Sharpen Poultry Shears
- The first step is to disassemble your scissors so that you can reach all the way up to the rear end of the blade (the portion closest to the handle) and so that the opposing blade isn’t swinging around on you and potentially cutting you as you work.
- To clean, most kitchen shears simply peel apart. Some may need the removal of a nut or screw. You won’t be able to disassemble your scissors if they are merely glued together. You can still sharpen them, but it’s probable that you’ve been using non-kitchen scissors as kitchen shears.
- Next, take out your sharpening stone and flip it to the coarse side up. It could help to place it on a towel so it doesn’t slide about.
- Place the flat, inner side of one of the scissor blades on the stone and make 10 strokes from the rear of the blade to the tip, keeping the edge of the blade flat on the stone. The upper half of the blade may be somewhat concave, but the edge itself is flat, and that’s what you’re concerned about.
- After 10 strokes, you should see new metal around the edge, which implies you did it correctly. You can now turn the stone over and give the flat edge of the blade 10 strokes on the fine side, but this is actually optional since once you see clean, new metal at the edge, you’ve done everything you need to do.
How do I maintain my poultry shears?
Maintain the sharpness of your poultry shears by keeping them clean. If your tools are looking dull or worn out, give them a thorough cleaning with soap and water after each use. Don’t forget that poultry shears should be stored in a dry place at room temperature away from direct sunlight.
The poultry shears are the necessary kitchen utensil with two sharp and sturdy blades attached to the handles like a scissor construction.”Jamie, author from lacademie.com
Do I need special storage for my poultry shears?
Yes, actually. You should store your poultry shears on a non-slip surface so that they stay in one place while not being used. This is important because if your poultry shears are not properly stored, then they’ll simply get dirty again.
What about lubricant?
If you’re using oil based lube on your poultry shears, make sure it’s compatible with your tool. Lubricants like WD40 won’t work well with metal tools like poultry shears, but good quality vegetable oils and silicon/silicone based lubes are fine options.
If you’re using an anti-static solution, make sure that solution isn’t too strong – it may strip off some of the protective coating that keeps your blades safe.
What about sharpening stones?
To ensure your poultry shears remain sharp, you might want to consider purchasing a set of dedicated sharpening stones. As with any other sharpening tool , this will keep the edge of your shears long lasting. However, these stones require regular maintenance just like anything else.
Sharpening stone maintenance
The best way to care for your sharpening stones is to lightly coat them with a thin layer of petroleum jelly before use. Petroleum jelly provides a soft cushion between the stone and the handle, making it easier to apply pressure evenly across the blade. Once the knife has been sharpened, wash the stone with hot soapy water to remove all residue, and let it air dry completely before storing it in a cool, dark area until next time. Keep a spare set of stones ready to go whenever you need to restore the edge of your poultry shears.
- The Best Croissant Dough Sheeter for Home Use 
- The Best Dough Sheeter Machine Small for the Home Kitchen
- An Amazing Electric Dough Roller Machine / Sheeter Machine – Best Guide 
I love cooking because it's so relaxing! I just put on my favorite tunes, and then get to work. First I'll look up what kind of food I want to cook, and find a good recipe for it. Then when the meal is ready everyone usually can't stop telling me how much they loved everything that was made. It makes me feel really accomplished knowing that people liked what I made for them!